Arrarex Caravel new seals - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

Here is what Thijs at Brooks had to say about his seals vs Kurt's:

"Those of kurt have a different shape to improve a better sealing, and are made of silicone. Silicone is food safe, and can resist extremely high tempratures, but it wears out much faster then the most common piston seals like FDA EPDM. They advice normally not to use silicone on mechanical parts, because they wear and tear to fast. (that is what the factory told me!)

The ones of mine are a improved version of the original ones. To create a much better sealing then the original. But the material that it has been made of is FDA HPU rubber, also food safe, it is a material normally used in the mining and food processing business. Because it doesn't wear out, doesn't tear and won't dry out. In theory you would never have to change the seals ever again."
LMWDP 267

Locopavoni (original poster)

#12: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Thanks JohnB
I have opted to get both the Trukaffe and Brooks seals, doesn't hurt to have a spare set and I am really intrigued to see if there is any difference.
LMWDP #537

ripvanmd

#13: Post by ripvanmd »

I had the OE seals initially and I couldn't get them well seated. Though this was probably secondary to operator error, I went ahead and ordered a set from brooks. I can now basically stand on the lever if need be. Plus brooks has all sorts of other goodies!

#14: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Really impressed with Brooks, have ordered a few other goodies while I'm at it. Going to try the smaller .25mm diameter hole baskets as well.
LMWDP #537

maxbmello

#15: Post by maxbmello »

Locopavoni wrote: Going to try the smaller .25mm diameter hole baskets as well.
Let us know how the new baskets work, and if they truly are more difficult to pull a shot with.

#16: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) replying to maxbmello »

Will do, have it on pre-order at the moment.
I asked Thijs if they produce a 'better' shot or just different.
Their experience is that the smaller hole diameter gives a less syrupy consistence, but a much richer taste to it. It is also a lot more difficult to use the 0,25 mm(seen the surface area is much smaller then with a original one).

It's great to see people looking to innovate with the Caravel, they are a remarkable yet simple machine.
LMWDP #537

sorrentinacoffee

#17: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

The ones of mine are a improved version of the original ones. To create a much better sealing then the original. But the material that it has been made of is FDA HPU rubber, also food safe, it is a material normally used in the mining and food processing business. Because it doesn't wear out, doesn't tear and won't dry out. In theory you would never have to change the seals ever again."
I am interested to try these Brooks seals- I can vouch that Kurt's ones are excellent- haven't used the Caravel I have them installed on enough to know for sure how they wear over time and use but what use I have made has been perfect. His portability seals are also excellent. However the original harder rubber like seals as per the original machine are very long lived indeed: I have used many Caravels with their original seals in that worked very well still decades after going into service.

However I am skeptical that these new seals could be better than the originals- or never wear out. The originals were 100% perfect- as they produced a %100 seal, before finally ultimately, inevitably: wearing out. However if these new ones are a similar material to the originals then I would expect they would work very well, and last a long time.

grog

#18: Post by grog »

Yep. I have a 1959 VAM with the original piston seals and they work perfectly. I had to replace the PF gasket but the other seals are performing great, 56 years in.
LMWDP #514

#19: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

I have received both seals, they both seem great, being silicone the seals from Kurt are a bit softer, easily stretching onto the piston yet making a great seal. I intend to keep these on until the eventual need for replacement, then replace with the brooks seals. The quality and fit is so good that I have no doubt that it will be many years away. The quality of the brooks are also great. It's great to have options on a long discontinued great little machine!
LMWDP #537