Suddenly I've lost the ability to create latte art. What am I doing wrong? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
weebit_nutty

#11: Post by weebit_nutty »

if you ever screw up on the steaming, you can always use an electric whisk to finish the job correctly. I've done this more times than I'd be willing to admit :)

But pair the boiler with the right steam tip and it's almost effortless. The biggest challenge is trying to find that perfect combination that works for you. Lots of people rave about the sproline foam knife so if money is not an issue, give it a try.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

LaMarzooka

#12: Post by LaMarzooka »

After so much difficulty getting a perfect, roiling vortex with this 0.4L Cafelat pitcher I've had for years -- and only achieved maybe 1 out of 50 attempts -- I finally went with an Espro Toroid. On just my 3rd attempt using their smaller pitcher, I finally produced a decent level of microfoam this morning and made my first, newbie latte art. They're even marked so you actually remember exactly how much milk to pour so as to minimize waste.

It's certainly a no-brainer to go with one considering how affordable they are (bought mine on Amazon). Anyone especially covet that Cafelat Denmark design? :roll:
Espresso or no go!

ecuew

#13: Post by ecuew »

Did your Expobar have a "no-burn" or "burn-me" steam arm? The 700 pro is "no-burn" so if your previous machine didn't have that feature it's possible you're not getting as much steam power as you had before.

My previous machine (Andreja Premium) came with a "no-burn" steam arm. I found it much easier to get nice microfoam with the Teflon tube inside the arm removed - steam was more powerful.

Wawab (original poster)

#14: Post by Wawab (original poster) »

I've made progress. Did 3 today. First two, no dice. 3rd one, I fiddled with all the recommendations above and was spot on. I think I have got the hand of what variables I have to manage with my setup. I think the swirl has everything to do with my problems. Thanks for the help.

Wawab (original poster)

#15: Post by Wawab (original poster) »

Both expobar and profitec had/have "no burn" arm. thx

Wawab (original poster)

#16: Post by Wawab (original poster) »

The biggest challenge is trying to find that perfect combination that works for you. Lots of people rave about the sproline foam knife so if money is not an issue, give it a try.
Any idea how to get sproline foam knife to work with my profitec?