Solis/Baratza Maestro Plus makes high-pitched squeaking sound, but only when empty

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ton

#1: Post by Ton »

I still have a Solis/Baratza Maestro Plus grinder but after buying a Mahlkonig Vario about 2 years ago I didn't use it anymore. Recently however I started brewing with my AeroPress and Hario V60 again and although the Vario can easily be set to coarser and finer I still find it a bit troublesome to find the correct setting for espresso again after having used other beans for drip or AeroPress. So I thought it would be a good idea to put the Maestro Plus in use again and then for drip and Aeropress.

However I have a strange problem with the Maestro. When it is running empty, without beans in it, every now and then I hear a high-pitched, squeaking, sound. It is not constantly but every few seconds. It does so also when I remove the upper burr, so it has not to do with the burrs. I gave the grinder a good cleaning, even inside after removing the casing, but that did not help. The strange thing is that when I grind beans with it, so when the grinder is under load, the sound is gone.

Anybody have an idea what could be causing this and what I can do ?
Thanks in advance.

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I'm not familiar with this grinder. Does it have pulleys and a belt?

Advertisement
radish_beans

#3: Post by radish_beans »

Normally with these grinders a high pitched sound would indicate gearbox wear - it happened to mine and I upgraded to the more robust 2.0 gearbox. I can't remember if having beans in the hopper had any effect though.

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

Ton wrote:I still have a Solis/Baratza Maestro Plus grinder but after buying a Mahlkonig Vario about 2 years ago I didn't use it anymore. Recently however I started brewing with my AeroPress and Hario V60 again and although the Vario can easily be set to coarser and finer I still find it a bit troublesome to find the correct setting for espresso again after having used other beans for drip or AeroPress. So I thought it would be a good idea to put the Maestro Plus in use again and then for drip and Aeropress.

However I have a strange problem with the Maestro. When it is running empty, without beans in it, every now and then I hear a high-pitched, squeaking, sound. It is not constantly but every few seconds. It does so also when I remove the upper burr, so it has not to do with the burrs. I gave the grinder a good cleaning, even inside after removing the casing, but that did not help. The strange thing is that when I grind beans with it, so when the grinder is under load, the sound is gone.

Anybody have an idea what could be causing this and what I can do ?
Thanks in advance.
Having dedicated brew and espresso grinders is hard to step back from once you have them. I have 1 espresso and 2 brew grinders and find this to be the minimum I can live with.

As to your grinder noise

More than likely yours has the old style trans/gearbox.

Upgrades are inexpensive ($15) and easy to install.

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce ... n&key=6395

I've rebuilt several of my older Baratza grinders. worth the minimal time and cost. You will end up with a very acceptable brew grinder

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNUkChqhvc[/youtube]

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

NightFlight

#5: Post by NightFlight »

Great post turtle! +1

Ton (original poster)

#6: Post by Ton (original poster) »

Turtle thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Unfortunately my Solis Maestro Plus has a different model motor than mentioned in the GB2.0 guide, so I don't know if the upgrade kit wil fit. BUT, I disassembled the grinder and put a very small amount of white grease (Lithium I assume) on the gears and a drop of oil in the shaft and now everything is fine again. No squeaking sound anymore.
Thanks again.

turtle

#7: Post by turtle replying to Ton »

Call Pierce on the phone. They have a kit for your grinder. Tell him Mick sent you :) (spoke to him this morning and he will know who you mean)

I owned one of the first type Maestro grinders they made (no safeties on it) and they had a kit for that antique.

Advertisement
Ton (original poster)

#8: Post by Ton (original poster) »

Thanks again Mick.

Wouldn't it be better that I email Baratza, attention of Pierce Jens I assume, and refer to your phone call ? Then I can attach a picture of the motor of my Solis, to be sure that there is no misunderstanding.

Btw, what kind of pliers would you recommend to get the gear box off the motor ? I tried it with a few that I own, but one wasn't flat enough to grip the shaft under the nut and with the other I couldn't get enough grip.

turtle

#9: Post by turtle replying to Ton »

I have several sets of narrow long needle nose pliers like this type that come in handy:

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Reach-Needle ... 981&sr=1-4

Your best bet is to get with Baratza. They are going to know your model.

It's been a couple of years since I had to do a rebuild/tear-down of a conical Baratza grinder. All I have now are the Forte models and I've not had any reason to take them apart.

If you remember to change the grinder setting only when the motor/grinder is running you'll find that they last a bit longer between rebuilds. they are a good product but just about everything inside (except the burrs) are made of plastic. Good thing is that parts are very inexpensive and they are a snap to take apart and rebuild.