Finding most uniform particle size grinder setting

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeemmichael

#1: Post by coffeemmichael »

Why do we worry about brew methods x y & z with correlated particle sizes when there SHOULD be an ideal size for the cleanest, highest extractions possible on a given burr set/ grinder?

Why isn't the narrative focused on "finding the sweet spot" of your grinder and using this knowledge to optimize tasty brewing?

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Terranova »

coffeemmichael wrote:Why do we worry about brew methods x y & z with correlated particle sizes when there SHOULD be an ideal size for the cleanest, highest extractions possible on a given burr set/ grinder?
Are you sure that "highest extraction" always tastes best for you ?
BTW: TDS and EY increases with higher brewing temperatures.

"Again, you know what you taste and what you like. You seem to have found the right combo of machine, grinder and coffee beans. However, this does not mean your holy grail will be experienced by everyone else." --Jim Piccinich

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

Assuming there is a 'most even' or 'bestest' grind setting for a grinder leads to two extremes.
Coarser is usually more even as small variations in size become smler fractions of the average size.
On the other hand, when going finer and finer, you'll reach limits where the fineness of the grind will progressively matter less as your water has no difficulty 'reaching' the inner parts of your ground particle. Then you're just depending on how long it takes for your flavor compounds to dissolve in the water.

So one either grinds as coarse as possible for maximum uniformity, or one grinds as fine as possible for maximum uniformity. Both conclusions make no sense, and I think therefore the premise is also wrong. But if someone has a better conclusion from the given premise I'm all ears.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

coffeemmichael wrote:Why do we worry about brew methods x y & z with correlated particle sizes when there SHOULD be an ideal size for the cleanest, highest extractions possible on a given burr set/ grinder?
As we thankfully get away from the "boulders and dust" particle range of the cheapest grinders, it is not clear that MAXIMUM uniformity is the best, or if it is, that is the best in all situations. It certainly is not ideal for espresso, where the resistance provided by smaller particles drifting down between larger particles is essential.

Even for drip or infusion, there may be added complexity provided by some particles extracting more of less than others.

Grinder manufacturers aim more for the best particle size distribution rather than absolute uniformity.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Patagent

#5: Post by Patagent »

Assuming grinders actually have a "sweet size" in the way you've described, it probably needs to be paired with a machine with sophisticated pressure profiling capabilities to make it work.