Suggestion for HG One mod to aid distribution (from a non-engineer)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lawn_wrangler

#1: Post by lawn_wrangler »

I could have posted this to a couple different ongoing discussions, but I wasn't sure which so I'm starting a new thread (Admins, do your thing).

All the discussion about WDT and different users' HG One routines got me thinking. Though I don't use the funnel wiper (RDT is easy enough), I thought it might be possible for someone to design a re-distribution device that fixes to the HG One the same way the funnel wiper does (i.e., onto the lower axle cap with a washer). Couldn't someone come up with a cheap mod to agitate and redistribute grounds as they fall from the burrs and before exiting the funnel? I am neither artist nor engineer, but I picture something like a fan blade, ship's screw, or some kind of spiraling cone like a post hole auger.

Others have noted that WDT and/or other redistribution techniques are not that burdensome. I agree, but still think many of us wouldn't mind eliminating a step if possible.

Thoughts?

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Moxiechef »

I had been thinking about a sliding door on the bottom of the funnel. This would hold the grounds in the funnel while the funnel wiper "whisked" them around. Then you'd slide or the "trap" door and the grounds would fall into the tumbler or portafilter.

My thought was something like a stereo cover.

caffeinezombie

#3: Post by caffeinezombie »

I came across someone who had basically plugged the hole on the funnel so that the grinds come out from a smaller hole to aid redistrubution here:

And a video of it in action can be found here:

Logically it should work decently well, and is a pretty cheap and reversible mod.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

lawn_wrangler wrote:Thoughts?
Here is one mod that someone posted only a couple months ago: HG one mod to eliminate need for redistribution