Freezer Hopper for Grinders - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jpender

#21: Post by jpender »

I don't know how much the introduced air in your original idea would matter. Who flushes their jar of coffee beans with inert gas after taking a dose out of the freezer? I never do. If you were storing many pounds for many months it would be prudent to worry about that. But 1-2 lbs is what, a couple of weeks worth?

The problem I see is that the beans would extend beyond the hopper itself and down into the guts of the grinder. So you couldn't just close a sliding door below all of the beans. Or maybe I don't understand how hoppers work on grinders. My LIDO and Porlex grinders don't have hoppers.

Maybe you need to put the whole grinder in a freezer and run the grounds out the door, kind of like an ice maker.

spearfish25 (original poster)

#22: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

jpender wrote:Maybe you need to put the whole grinder in a freezer and run the grounds out the door, kind of like an ice maker.
brilliant! I want a Mahlkonig refrigerator with a door grinder instead of ice maker.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by yakster »

jpender wrote:The problem I see is that the beans would extend beyond the hopper itself and down into the guts of the grinder. So you couldn't just close a sliding door below all of the beans. Or maybe I don't understand how hoppers work on grinders. My LIDO and Porlex grinders don't have hoppers
I guess we'll have to add a CO2 blower to push the unground beans back up into the freezer hopper and purge the oxygen until the next use. An alternative is a reversible corkscrew conveyor from the hopper to the grinder. This is really shaping up into something.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

NightFlight

#24: Post by NightFlight »

A Maytagkoenig