Compak K10 makes sound but not turning! Blocked?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BigBlaze

#1: Post by BigBlaze »

When activating the switch, it is like something is "blocked" the burr and keep motor from turning.
Motor make sound like it is trying to turn, but it is not turning.

I remove all the beans and vacuum all the grind, the grinder work once and the issue came back.

Can I fix this myself?

Did you ever experience this?

If it need repaire, any shop in Montreal?

please HELP

NightFlight

#2: Post by NightFlight »

It is probably the start capacitor. If you can help hand start the burrs and they turn then it is the capacitor.

EDIT: I will let someone with a K10 explain any repair procedures.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

From Compak K10 stalling problem:
HB wrote:From what I understand, there was a batch of Compak K10 grinders with stalling problems sold in early 2012. A few reports surfaced in the forums and Justin reported in this post that replacing the capacitor corrected the problem. As I reported later in Compak K10 stalling, my grinder was from the same batch and replacing the capacitor supplied by Compak solved the problem for me too.
Dan Kehn

NightFlight

#4: Post by NightFlight »

Thank you Dan, that was before my time so to speak. :wink:

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

When my K10 started stalling, the assumption was that it was the capacitors, but it was an entirely different problem: it was mis-wired.
Josh at Compak sent me a wiring diagram, and it was a very easy fix. The capacitors were just fine.
And I see that the solution to my problem is on the very last page of that thread that Dan linked you to earlier.
Good luck.

Euology101

#6: Post by Euology101 »

I had the same issue back when I had a K10, and it was the capacitor. Quick call to Compak, and Josh had a replacement capacitor on its way to me. It was as simple as you see in the photos, literally a couple screws, couple wires, and back up and running in a matter of minutes. That being said, it could be a wiring issue as well, so check both. Either way, call Josh @ Compak (Tech/service), probably one of the most helpful individuals I've ever dealt, when servicing a coffee related item, and he can help diagnose.

BigBlaze (original poster)

#7: Post by BigBlaze (original poster) »

Today, I remove again all the beans and empty, the grinder work!!!

Could it be the beans?

They are new beans I had never tried in the past. Only comment about those, taste was like "grass"
They are brown, not dark-brown. I add to raise temp to maximum and coarse finer to try to get something drinkable. But now, I can't test anymore, grinder is down.

Are light roast bean harder then dark roast? Have you ever hear of a grinder jam because of beans?

Advertisement
Peppersass

#8: Post by Peppersass »

BigBlaze wrote:Could it be the beans?
Not likely.
BigBlaze wrote:Are light roast bean harder then dark roast?
Yes, but the K10 should still be able to grind them.

Your result makes it even more likely that the start capacitor is bad. It's probably holding a small charge that's enough to start the motor when there's no resistance but not enough when beans in the burr chamber provide resistance.