Simple solution to new(er) LIDO brace bar bean back-up

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MilesSpathelf

#1: Post by MilesSpathelf »

I enjoy alliteration...

Any way I just removed the handle and top of the hopper, tightened a small zip tie to the shaft, and slid it down to the lower bushing with a plastic fork. It's worked perfectly....although the zip tie may need to be pushed back down to the bearing as it tends to ride up after a few weeks.

That probably depends on how tight the zip tie was pulled. I hope this helps for those early morning grinding sessions!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Very clever!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Nice idea. If you go wrap the zip tie completely around the shaft twice before feeding it through the locking end it may resist sliding up the shaft more. I use this trick when I want more surface area contact with my zip tie and whatever I'm securing. Same idea as a rolling hitch, the extra loop in the rope helps prevent the hitch from sliding.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

macm75

#4: Post by macm75 »

The fact you started this thread makes me think the "bean back-up" has been reported by many - if so, can you direct me to the posts?
I have the new triple bushing Lido 2. I assume everyone with the new design has issues with bean flow due to the bushing above the burr does not have enough clearance - beans get stuck and nothing goes thru.
Regardless, Barb just emailed me. Just in case you have not heard and sorry if this is a "no-duh", the bushing above the burr is re-designed. OE will soon be shipping the new bushing which positions it further from the burr.
-Joe

Bob_McBob

#5: Post by Bob_McBob »

This is why Knock uses a stirring rod in the Hausgrind that rides just above the bearing crossbar to keep beans from getting stuck on it. I'm glad to hear OE will be altering the design because it was putting me off upgrading my Lido 3.

Chris

wsfarrell

#6: Post by wsfarrell »

Bob_McBob wrote:This is why Knock uses a stirring rod in the Hausgrind that rides just above the bearing crossbar to keep beans from getting stuck on it. I'm glad to hear OE will be altering the design because it was putting me off upgrading my Lido 3.

<image>
I've been wondering why my Hausgrind feeds better than my Lido. Now I know.

wsfarrell

#7: Post by wsfarrell »

MilesSpathelf wrote:I enjoy alliteration...
Baseball been bery bery good to me..........