Nuova Simonelli Appia Compact 2-Group for a restaurant?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zammie

#1: Post by zammie »

Hi all,

I need help to confirm something for a friend looking to add espresso-based drinks to a restaurant. They are looking to use the Appia Compact (7.5 litre boiler) to make mostly 6oz lattes and capps. Would this machine suffice to make say 20 drinks / hour during peak periods? I understand this is a HX machine - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!
dizzy

LMWDP #455

bongani

#2: Post by bongani »

The machine is capable of brewing over 240 espresso per hour on both groups. The recovery rate is incredible. It's a HX for sure, with awesome steaming to boot. The size should not throw you out, it was designed for venues with limited space.

I do not own one but frequent cafes that have them on their counters and I can't fault the espresso pulled.

Advertisement
Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Moxiechef »

When I was looking for a new espresso combo for my restaurant, I looked at the same machine. I ended up steering away from anything that require a flush. Training is typically the #1 hurdle in restaurants and the need to flush is just another step to try to be sure that everyone is doing correctly. The new Aurelias don't require flushing due to their mini brew boilers, if memory serves me correctly.

The other big variable is the dosing and tamping, so I went with a La Marzocco Swift grinder. It's only criticism that I have is that the tamping "auger" leaves a little ring of grinds on the sides of the basket. Which, makes the shower screen's sides a little dirtier than normal. Aka, more training on cleaning!

JB

zammie (original poster)

#4: Post by zammie (original poster) »

Thanks both for the replies. The Appia V2 is quite a common sight in the cafes over here. Flushing is not a deal breaker for us. The debate is whether to go for the Compact or the full size model (13l boiler) and it seems the crux of the matter centers on the steaming abilities of the machines.

Unfortunately the budget doesn't stretch to the Aurelia! Planning to pair the Appia with a Fiorenzato F64 EVO on demand grinder. Quite the bang for buck combo!
dizzy

LMWDP #455

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Moxiechef »

I've steamed on the compact and it's got plenty of power and plenty in reserves.

JB

zammie (original poster)

#6: Post by zammie (original poster) »

Thanks for the confirmation Jonathan!
dizzy

LMWDP #455