Drum mesh temperature on Behmor = Bean temperature - offset?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JojoS

#1: Post by JojoS »

I just want to get some opinions on this idea. One of the most difficult although not impossible if you are Ira is getting a fairly accurate bean temp while roasting on the Behmor. I have read that many users would measure the exhaust temp and try to extrapolate or guess an approximate bean temp at any given stage after the afterburner kicks in. Would measuring the middle part of the drum mesh be a bit more accurate to approximate bean temp? Thanks in advance for your input.

billsey

#2: Post by billsey »

I would think that would depend on where you are measuring. Using something like a laser would give you alternating wire and environmental temperatures unless you were able to 'see' the bean mass, when you would alternate between wire and bean surface temperature. The latter should give you a decent approximation, I'd think.

JojoS (original poster)

#3: Post by JojoS (original poster) »

Many thanks for the reply. Taking temp measurements using my Infrared Temp gun was not reliable and readings were all over the place. The built in sensor readings for side wall and exhaust was more reliable. I am considering installing a small temp reading patch (2cm x 3cm) made out of dark colored high heat conductive material on the inside of the mesh drum and point the Infrared gun there for temp measurements but I am unsure of what material would be ideal. Thoughts?

billsey

#4: Post by billsey »

I would think you could just do a metal strip, like cut from a can if you could find one the right size. Most metals are conductive enough to give a good reading. I'm guessing the inconsistencies you were seeing was the alternating metal wire, open area, metal wire thing. A strip going completely around should give a more constant read. It might be high though, since you are reading the side facing the heat sources.