Steam Tip Sizing?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bengee

#1: Post by bengee »

So, looking for an aftermarket steam tip for my espresso machine. Its an unconventional one.

Some are advertized 8mm, others 10mm. What exactly should I be measuring? (outer steam wand diameter, outer steam tip diameter, inner groove diameter).

Mine happens to be a female steam tip.

Thanks!

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

It would help to indicate what the machine is or the aftermarket wand you might be using.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

bengee (original poster)

#3: Post by bengee (original poster) »

Its an older Mokita Professional. The steam wand is 8mm in diameter and its a male. The steam tip is female of course.

petr0x

#4: Post by petr0x »

Hi,
I think it should be the wand (pipe) diameter. Take a vernier caliper and measure it. BTW what steam tip are you looking for?
I have a 4 hole, last month I have experience with 1 hole so I asked friend to CNC machine a 2 hole tip for me. It seems better, but I have to get used to is, because it is slower to make the foam.

bengee (original poster)

#5: Post by bengee (original poster) »

Yes, my wand is a 8mm, and I have not found a single aftermaket 8mm female tip. :(

Mine's got a 3 holes and they seem quite large. My brew two cortados every morning so we only need 4-5 ounces of milk every morning. Basically, A one or two hole tip would seem more appropriate. (we tried with the toothpicks, but a one hole going straight down would be ideal. How to you go abour machining one????

petr0x

#6: Post by petr0x »

I have made a drawing of my new tip and asked friend with turning lathe to make it for me. I have requested stainless steel which will be polished at the end. You can make it from brass, but there is problem with chrome plating, which is usually very expensive.
So take measurements of your actual tip, especially the thread diameted and pitch on the wand and ask someone at your place to make it. I can offer you such service, but I don't know if it will be economical for you.