How tough was it to find quality espresso 30 years ago? - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
bluesman

#31: Post by bluesman »

dhb wrote:As a frequent Visitor to the USA, I remember I first saw espresso on a restaurant menu in Fl. I couldn't resist and ordered one. I got a demitasse with no crema, and a lemon rind.
That's one of my pet peeves! If I understand the origin of this correctly, Italian soldiers were unable to wash their cups in the field during WW1. So they wiped them with lemon rind before wiping out with a cloth because the oil in the peel helped cut and remove the coffee residue. I suspect there are many stories and versions - if anyone has an alternative explanation, I'd love to hear it. Coffee lore is fascinating!

Marshall

#32: Post by Marshall »

dhb wrote:I got a demitasse with no crema, and a lemon rind.
Two mainstays of U.S. espresso 30 years ago:

1. The straight espresso served with a lemon rind on the dish. This was often explained as an Italian, possibly Sicilian, custom.

2. cappuccino served as a dessert mixed with brandy and with whipped cream and chocolate powder on top. The "espresso" part was usually a commercial instant powdered mix. On a business trip, eating in the same restaurant two nights in a row, I actually saw a waiter first berated for bringing the whipped cream concoction instead of a traditional cappuccino and on the next night a different waiter for NOT bringing the whipped cream thing.

Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
dhb

#33: Post by dhb »

Marshall wrote:Two mainstays of U.S. espresso 30 years ago:
2. cappuccino served as a dessert mixed with brandy and with whipped cream and chocolate powder on top. The "espresso" part was usually a commercial instant powdered mix. On a business trip, eating in the same restaurant two nights in a row, I actually saw a waiter first berated for bringing the whipped cream concoction instead of a traditional cappuccino and on the next night a different waiter for NOT bringing the whipped cream thing.
Marshall, you bring alot of memories back. 30yrs ago even at this side of the pond you either ordered a "Deutschen cappuccino" or "Italienischen cappuccino" The german one was as well with whipped cream, the italian one with steamed milk. chocolate powder was and is still popular.
Lucky us both where made with real espresso.

This thread make me realize that there are no "good ol times" in coffee..... :D
Dirk
LMWDP #430

Espresso is simple, just not easy.

dhb

#34: Post by dhb »

bluesman wrote:That's one of my pet peeves! If I understand the origin of this correctly, Italian soldiers were unable to wash their cups in the field during WW1. So they wiped them with lemon rind before wiping out with a cloth because the oil in the peel helped cut and remove the coffee residue. I suspect there are many stories and versions - if anyone has an alternative explanation, I'd love to hear it. Coffee lore is fascinating!
I never had any lemon peal espresso in italy, nor any of my italian friends know anything about lemon peel served with espresso.
When I where back in Europe I told my favorite italian waitress, she from Neaples, my strange experience in Fl.
She don't get it with the peel, but told me that their family use to add Lemon Juice to espresso against Headaches.

if there other stories about the lemon peel and espresso I would love to hear them as well.
Dirk
LMWDP #430

Espresso is simple, just not easy.

heavyduty

#35: Post by heavyduty »

dhb wrote:if there other stories about the lemon peel and espresso I would love to hear them as well.
I remembered seeing this in a book I have. According to "The Coffee Companion" by Jon Thorn, this is called an Espresso Romano.
Wikipedia says: Espresso Romano[edit]

An espresso Romano is a shot of espresso with a slice of lemon served on the side. The lemon can be run along the rim of the cup as a way to accentuate the espresso's sweetness.[24] Despite the name, it has no link to Italy nor Rome.

I sometimes lament that I found espresso late in life (about 7 yrs. ago, I'm now 61), but perhaps I didn't miss out on as much as I thought I did.
Now I'm lamenting that I'm not young now with much to look forward to; but with global warming, leaf rust, this years El Nino and other coffeelands problems, who knows....
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

bluesman

#36: Post by bluesman »

heavyduty wrote:I sometimes lament that I found espresso late in life (about 7 yrs. ago, I'm now 61).
There are pros and cons, Paul. The downside to 50+ years of drinking espresso daily is that my teeth haven't been pearly white for years. My dentist has bleached, I practice excellent oral hygiene with "whitening toothpastes", and I even try to rinse my front teeth or wipe them with a wet napkin after consuming when appropriate.

I don't look like a bag lady, but they're definitely not pure white & haven't been for years. Was it worth the pleasure? You bet it was - but you won't have to worry about that for another 30 years, so enjoy!!

David

heavyduty

#37: Post by heavyduty »

bluesman wrote:I don't look like a bag lady, but they're definitely not pure white & haven't been for years. Was it worth the pleasure? You bet it was - but you won't have to worry about that for another 30 years, so enjoy!!
lol...I was just looking at my teeth in the mirror the other day with the thought of espresso staining. I've definitely been making up for lost time!
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul