Refurbish an old Futurmat

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Dawoud

#1: Post by Dawoud »

Hi guys.
I have this old machine which is not working.
Many of the lamps are kinda broken. The general switch (power swich) wasn't working at all so I started with that and I think I got it working again. Now I have the problem of getting it connected again... too many cords. And ofc i didn't take a picture before I started :?

Is there anyone who has any experience with such machines. And do please tell me if this project of refurbish this is a waste off time. :)

The machine is quite old but I have some positive thoughts towards it though. It has a huuuge boiler/compressor (not really sure) see pictures.
I've been scouting the Web for info but it's very limited.. :/

Any help/comments is highly appreciated! :)

Abukahwah

#2: Post by Abukahwah »

Hello Dawoud,
It is some six months since your post, and since I've just joined home-barista I hope it isn't too late to reply.
I have a nearly identical machine (only with pump external) and refurbished it together with a friend some six or seven years ago and have had great use of it until the last year when it was left dormant - and unfortunately not really cleaned after its last use.
I joined this forum because now I've also got some questions and look for advice and suggestions, however, perhaps I could also help you out with what I've learned, if you're still working on this project.
Best regards,
Mahmud

goodforbrains

#3: Post by goodforbrains »

Hey, I have this machine, but the single group version with internal pump. I actually have 2 of them. They are a very robust machine and I would definitely refurbish yours. I have owned these for about 10 years and I have had little problems. I used this in my coffee cart for about 7 years, and also did a few weddings with it. Once it blew a micro fuse, and I had a leaking filler valve, and some other very minor problems. These things are a breeze to work on and most common parts are available. Oh yes, the worst problem that I ran into was when the heating element burned up. I got a replacement from Quality Espresso, but... it did not fit. The element that goes into my machine is a dual element, meaning it can be wired for either 110 V or 220/240 Volt. My machine is the 110 volt so I only use one of the elements. I had to cut off the 1000 watt element and bend over the copper tube and run a bead of solder in the cut ends so it wouldn't leak. I have refurbished these several times over the years, and if I can help you out let me know. I have the installation manual and all of the wiring schematics also. Good luck! Brian

goodforbrains

#4: Post by goodforbrains »

I forgot to turn on the notify me when a reply is posted....now it is on :D

jdlx

#5: Post by jdlx »

Hi Brian,
goodforbrains wrote:... , but the single group version with internal pump.
Which is also exactly the machine i have ...
goodforbrains wrote: ... have the installation manual and all of the wiring schematics also
It'd be awesome if you could somehow share these with us ...

thx & greets,
Jan

goodforbrains

#6: Post by goodforbrains »

Hey Jan, I need to think about the best way to share the installation manual.( I am thinking).....Ahhhh! I think the best way is for you to contact Quality Espresso. They sent me the pdf years ago and I printed it, they are very eager to give info. At least they were when I inquired. If for some reason they will not or can't supply you with the pdf, I will for only $100 US dollars personally copy and print each page for you..LOl..just kidding. I would be very willing to scan and email you a particular section if you have an idea about what info you need. But I think QE will just send you the whole file.

Brian

jdlx

#7: Post by jdlx »

Hi Brian, thx for your reply ... so i'll contact Quality Espresso for the manuals.
In the meantime you could nevertheless help me out on this topic:

Since the Futurmat is only our backup machine currently being in temporary use, i have no idea how the hell to program that machine ... i just can't figure it out ... ;) I googled around, but whatever i found about these QE machines seems not to apply for this model ...

thx,
Jan

goodforbrains

#8: Post by goodforbrains »

Sure! I can help with that! Turn your machine off
While pressing the continuous button, turn machine on and keep pressing the button until the front panel starts to blink. You are now in programming mode. The continuous button is the one with the pitcher on the button. On my machine it is on the far right side of the front panel.
Put espresso in the portafilter for whichever button you are programming. Single or double. Place an espresso cup(s) below the spout and Press and release the corresponding button on the panel. Water will start to flow. Once the espresso reaches your desired volume in the cup press the button again. Congratulations! You just programmed the amount of water through the flowmeter! Repeat for each of the other buttons that you want to program.

Make sure you use the exact amount of espresso that you would normally use when you pull a shot for the most accurate dose programming. The espresso grounds will absorb some water so it's important to only program with espresso in the potafilter.

To exit programming, simply turn the machine off, and then back on.

You would also go into programming mode to clear any alarms that get triggered. Once, I turned my machine on without water in the boiler. This made the front panel continuously blink and only the continuous button would work once I filled the boiler. I went into programming mode and shut the machine off and back on and the alarm got cleared.
Hope this helps!
Brian

jdlx

#9: Post by jdlx »

Hi Brian,
goodforbrains wrote: While pressing the continuous button, turn machine on and keep pressing the button until the front panel starts to blink.
*dooh* ... nope ... all the machine does is to continuously dispense ... ;_/ very odd ... had googled and tried this procedure before ... mine just won't do it.
goodforbrains wrote:The continuous button is the one with the pitcher on the button. On my machine it is on the far right side of the front panel.
dito here ... from your description i'm pretty sure we got the same machine ... see a pic here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ehz4gyxf4kx7 ... 7.jpg?dl=0

thx,
Jan

goodforbrains

#10: Post by goodforbrains »

Yup, same machine. I have a couple of ideas. One try and unplug your machine from the wall, let sit for a minute and plug back in and then try and enter program mode.

Does your front panel blink when it is on? If yes, you have a fault or an alarm that is active.

If front panel isn't blinking, it is possible that the touch pad is shot and only continuous works.

If you take the top of your machine off and the side panel, there is a black box. The computer is in there. Pop off the top and look for any signs of corrosion, burning or dirt. Sometimes dirt can accumulate on the circuit board and bridge two or more circuits together. Also there are a couple of micro fuses in there. Take them out and check the fuses for continuity with a meter. I had one of these blow before, but I do not remember if the whole dosing pad stopped working or what the symptoms were.

Also make sure your machine is plugged in to a 20 amp circuit. I have seen people bend one of the blades on the plug so they can plug into a 15 amp circuit. 15 amps is just not enough power and can damage your machine. One machine that I saw a guy do this the plug and service wire overheated and caught fire.

Also try and hold the continuos button longer when trying to go into programming mode. Book syas at least 5 seconds.

Just some ideas, Brian