Struggling with the flavor of Kenyan SOE - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Nick Name

#11: Post by Nick Name »

brianl wrote:It's my impression that Kenyans are very rarely naturally processed. All the ones I've ever had (and that's a lot) are washed.
Very true. What I've read about Kenyans is that they almost always wet process. This not to say, there are no naturals from Kenya. I've had a few. But they are rare, very rare.

thepilgrimsdream

#12: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Nate42 wrote:Its wet processed https://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/co ... kenya.html.

George Howell much prefers very clean coffees, and rarely sell natural or dry process. The flavors you describe do not sound like something he would tolerate, so either they had an off roast (it happens even to the best) or you should change up your extraction. I'm pretty sure my shots with that coffee tended more toward ristretto, but then again that was on a lever.
The last Kenya I had from George tasted like tomato soup. I know some people really are into the tomato flavors from Kenya(Tomato's are a fruit not vegetal), but its personally off putting to me. The last two Kenya's Ive had were from counter culture and five elephant in Germany. More of a black current/blackberry thing going on which I find kind of nice.

Advertisement
Moxiechef (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. This was my first Kenyan, I'm going to try another, just to have a comparison.

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

Moxiechef wrote:Ok. So my wife describes it as an overripe/going bad strawberry flavor ... I'm pulling 18g into 36g in about 27-30 seconds and have tried 199 - 202F.
Kenyas are indeed wet porocessed coffees, but with less water and longer times. This adds to complex flavors that are in the ferment zone. You should try a finer grind, going down to around 16 grams, a higher brew ratio, around 24 gram shot, and a longer shot time, around 35 seconds. This is a better recipe for complex coffees.
Jim Schulman

Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

OldmatefromOZ

#16: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Just another thought, I am fairly sure I understand the flavour you are describing, I am quite sensitive to it in light roasted African coffee used for espresso - which I roast a lot of.
To me it sounds like you may benefit from trying to " clean up " the shot a bit.

I would try grinding a bit coarser so that your dose is 20g, making sure you still have sufficient head space.
Extract 45 to 50g of liquid in 23 to 27sec and see how you go.

skypickle

#17: Post by skypickle »

@Moxiechef

so did you get this sorted? I am having similar issues with another george howell roast, alchemy. I was hoping for some direction.

Advertisement
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

After a few more blends that contained Kenyan and Ethiopian coffee, I just think it's a flavor I'm not ready for. Almost like fermented blackberries.