Coffee Talk: Bad Coffee is Good - Discuss

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Bad Coffee: Why Do People Love It?
Sprudge wrote:I'm curious about the widespread affection our society has for a regular no-fuss cup of joe. With apologies and a warm heart for those who adore the stuff, I've started to ask why, exactly, people like bad coffee so much.

NightFlight

#2: Post by NightFlight »

Bad coffee is just that, BAD! I politely turn down any coffee offered if I know it is the standard fare. As for other folks your guess is as good as mine. :shock:

forbeskm

#3: Post by forbeskm »

I think the article covered it well. I am sure cost is a large part of it. As someone who travels for work it can be quite difficult to find a good shop other than Starbucks (sometimes they are hard to find) outside a major metro area.

The social experience is more than the coffee as well. Something I have always hated about snobby barista places, if you ruin the social part of the service I don't care how great your coffee is as you ruined half of it.

And in the end bad is subjective, and to each their own. I stick to the middle medium roast yet I have a friend who swears by her Starbucks. I travel with my La Pavoni and no longer worry about coffee that is made differently than mine though I do make a point to try a few shops (if I can find any) a trip for my afternoon caffeine fix (amazing what can be fixed with sugar).

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Bad coffee was good before I had good coffee. Now, bad coffee is just bad. In a way, this makes things worse, as I can no longer have coffee out at most restaurants. I used to enjoy that.
Scott
LMWDP #248

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

I feel like this comes down to the basic nature of people to feel that we are above-average in all things... so clearly our choices are going to be superior... even if we haven't the context to appreciate the differences ;)

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

To me it is more about training and development of senses than snobism ;-)

I gently turn down the offered coffee on most occasions, and when I do accept it the taste typically confirms why I normally decline. The hard part is seeing perfectly good equipment in cafe's, going in assuming the espresso will be OK and being offered something like a weakish battery acid made from stale beans roasted beyond recognition...(we have at least three places in town with a KvdW and none of them know how to make a decent tasting cup) if only baristas would be trained by the taste in the cup....
LMWDP #483

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

In the early 80's I was drinking cappuccinos at a cafe in Marina del Rey that had a 5kg roaster in the front that they roasted their coffee in. 2 or 3 group lever machine, maybe a Gaggia with an eagle on top, but I don't really remember anything else about it. They sold greens if you asked and so I started roasting in a yellow pop corn popper back then. Soon modified with a separate switch on the heater and a thermometer hanging into the bean mass. Some book or another I read back then talked about profiles and so I tried to follow those rules and the coffee was good. Brewed in a Chemex I think or sometimes a french press.

I have no clue about the quality of the drinks from the cafe, I went for the music on Fridays and Saturdays, but I do remember that some of the coffee I roasted was spectacular, in particular one bag that he claimed was from Oaxaca. I guess it must have been good, as I still remember it 30+ years later.

Sometime earlier, late 70's I picked up a Baby Gaggia, as far as I remember, the "best" home machine you could buy back then. At least that I knew of and those days in Los Angeles, there was not much knowledge. It was a huge amount of money for me at the time and I think I hardly used it because the espresso was bitter as all get out and I don't think I ever figured out milk. By that time I knew to grind beans fresh and either had a whirly blade grinder or had moved on to a Spong #2.