HG One 2014 steps very unprecise? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pumpkinscastle

#11: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Do you stir the grounds vigorously with the provided glass stick before you transfer them from the tumbler to the basket?
If I forget to do that, I will end up with severe channeling.

weebit_nutty

#12: Post by weebit_nutty »

When I got my HG One, it channeled like crazy. It took 5 lbs of grinding beans before I saw significant improvement. Partly the channeling also was due to my poor prepping. It gets better, you just need to break it in.

Dont' be too quick to blame the grinder. It's an outstanding grinder, but I'm sure if you can't figure it out there's plenty of folks out there that would love to take it off your hands. The resale value is quite high, but posts like these can affect that. Try not to create rumours with subject topic titles like this. How about , "New HG One owner-- need help with channeling" or something a little less suggestive.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

ilker

#13: Post by ilker »

As I said, I never used one click adjustment when i dial in. My smallest steps are 2 clicks.
For a beginner like me, one step is very minor difference, I could not see any difference on pour or taste.
I guess one click should correspond around 1.1~1.2secs for the pour.

Japheth

#14: Post by Japheth »

As already mentioned, try breaking in your burrs first, either with instant rice or coffee beans.

I have the same grinder and had a similar experience. I was getting gushers and channeling issues up to a point, and then the shots would get quite a fair bit tighter with just a click finer.

I was too quick and foolishly tinkered with the alignment before contacting Craig (who, by the way, was very prompt and helpful in his replies, and a really great guy to deal with). So I went through the trouble of re-aligning the burrs, seasoned them with instant rice and a few pounds of stale beans, and now it's a lot more stable.

It's a fantastic grinder, and I think after the burrs have broken in you will love it too.
- Japheth L.

1yay1 (original poster)

#15: Post by 1yay1 (original poster) »

i already really like the grinder, it's very easy to grind even with lighter roasts, and have good results in the cup. not perfect yet, but that will come with more experience and breaking it in.
i will just grind alot of coffee through it, and see what happens then. i don't really want to try to reallign anything and mess something up, and hg one support basically assured me that it's extremely likely to be just breaking in.

rpavlis

#16: Post by rpavlis »

In my experience, just 500 grams of instant cooking rice ground with it will help a LOT. It takes some effort to grind the rice, as it is a bit tougher than coffee beans. Mine now grinds almost exactly 1 gram/turn. The quality of the grind improves as much as the efficiency again in my experience.

The ground rice also makes good cooked breakfast cereal!!!

dsc

#17: Post by dsc »

weebit_nutty wrote:Try not to create rumours with subject topic titles like this.
If you haven't noticed there's a question mark at the end of the thread topic.

dsc.

DanoM

#18: Post by DanoM »

weebit_nutty wrote:Try not to create rumours with subject topic titles like this. How about , "New HG One owner-- need help with channeling" or something a little less suggestive.
Somebody is in protection mode lately! :D just joking around there

You know even if someone put the title you suggested someone elsewhere is going to mis-quote it by stating that HG Ones channel poorly on the newest models. Doesn't matter if it's true or not - we're too used to reading misleading newspaper headlines and taking them any way we see fit. Doesn't matter what the article or discussion actually states.

Suffice it to say if you don't mind hand grinding, have the space, and like the looks it is hard to do better than the HG-One. And if there are any issues with your new purchase they will work with you to get that addressed.
LMWDP #445

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC »

If someone has an issue with another post, click the report button and let a moderator deal with it. Please don't drag the discussion off topic by debating intentions of others.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/