What's the best Papua New Guinea coffee you've roasted?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I thought this would be an interesting topic. I don't hear much in terms of discussion about PNG coffees. None specifically jump out at me as being super stellar, but it seems to be popping up in my mind more and more, mainly out of curiosity. I have a nice big bag that was gifted to me from a big west coast importer called AX Kuta that shows potential. Do any other roasters like using it as a backbone in an espresso bound roast? S.O. espresso? If so, why?

Here's a good video from Neal Wilson discussing building a profile on a PNG (for espresso). I admire his take on things.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Beaniac

#2: Post by Beaniac »

I absolutely loved last years washed PNG from Sigri estate.
Singe origin, like most of the coffee I drink at home the biggest chocolate and coco bomb I ever had. It has that Indonesian like herbal/tobacco kick to it but not as harsh, so it was more round and very full of flavor.
Looking forward to this years crop, and hoping it is as good as last years.

In a more traditional espressoblend I think it can sub for a Brazil/Colombian but it will bring all lot more herb and spice so the SE asia/ Pacific part of the blend will have to be brought down a bit. But honestly, Sigri, try it as a SO and you will love it.

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

Years ago, I had a PNG green from Dean's Beans that I roasted. Beans had a purplish hue which Dean's attributed to the processing approach. Coffee had a classic orange marmalade flavor which was phenomenal. I have bought Dean's subsequent years (2 years) and the quality of the processing and taste were disappointing. Last one had the appearance of past crop.
Here's a good video from Neal Wilson discussing building a profile on a PNG (for espresso). I admire his take on things.
When we lived in Wisconsin, I would stop at Wilson's shop whenever we got down to Racine. http://www.wilsonscoffee.com/. I never had a bad coffee from the shop. I had one of the best Bolivians I have ever had from there. He judged one year in the Ethiopian Cup of Excellence. He works as hard as anyone I have ever seen in coffee. He is underpublisized and I sense he prefers it that way. He caters to a local market, not a national one.
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

In the last year, I liked this one quite a bit: Kimel Plantation Peaberry
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava replying to [creative nickname] »

Kimel Plantation offers some of the best consistency out there, year after year.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

This Madan Estate Grade A is the one I am doing independent roast and learn with help from other HUKY roasters. Brown Coffee of San Antonio has featured the peaberry from that same plantation. Solid Indonesian profile but I've yet to coax the kind of sweetness like in Sulawesi Toarco Toroja.
LMWDP #198

HoldTheOnions

#7: Post by HoldTheOnions »

The AA Arokara I got from Happy Mug in December was really tasty. I got some more from Coffee Bean Coral recently, but haven't tried it yet.

N3Roaster

#8: Post by N3Roaster »

Thanks for linking to the video. Most years I have a Kimel. As Boldjava notes, very consistent year to year. Sweet, clean, smooth. The roast I come up with for drip is really unbalanced as straight espresso, but at 10-20% of a blend it most years helps push up both intensity and complexity. I'm surprised that it's not a more popular choice as a booster. The Rika Rika in the video was surprising in just how well it took an espresso preparation and it's one of only a handful of coffees I've had that I could really enjoy as an every day single origin espresso. I wish I bought more of it as I'm recently sold out with about a month to go before I can expect new crop of that particular mark to be available.