Profitec Pro 300 User Experience - Page 14

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mania

#131: Post by mania »

Another yes vote on this Pro 300 being a great machine for both novice & advanced users....For the same reasons Mik & CC mentioned

Those being simplicity & rock solid consistency You cant go wrong if you have those locked in.

Side benefits include quick warmup & quick refresh (meaning machine is ready for next shot quickly)
Overall a really nice value in a machine here

Steaming of course takes a little longer than a commercial machine...of course
But this is not always a bad thing as it allows you time to focus on what your achieving &
even at that we are talking seconds of difference not minutes :)

Supertrent1

#132: Post by Supertrent1 »

Just an update on my Pro 300. I bought the machine on WLL about 8 months ago and recently the steam boiler pressure gauge started not reading boiler pressure at all. The machine still heats up, fills, and steams totally fine so I'm assuming it's an issue only with the pressure gauge (I can hear steam boiler turn off so it's not running forever). I sent a message to WLL asking if I could replace the gauge myself and they responded quickly with an offer to send me a free replacement (I only pay shipping of $6) and assurance that I could replace it myself so when it arrives I'll be doing that. Kind of annoying but all in all stuff happens and hope it's as easy of a fix as I think it will be!

alleyooptroop

#133: Post by alleyooptroop »

Count me in as an (almost) member of the 300 group! I just ordered a 300 + a Baratza Sette 270w that should arrive next week some time. My espresso journey took me from a Jura Ena Micro 1 ---> Gaggia Classic ---> Rancilio Sivia ---> 300. I'm really looking forward to the more consistent temp and the separate steam boiler. I'm sure I'll be picking everyones brains with questions in the near future.

chimopaul

#134: Post by chimopaul »

Supertrent1 wrote:Just an update on my Pro 300. I bought the machine on WLL about 8 months ago and recently the steam boiler pressure gauge started not reading boiler pressure at all. The machine still heats up, fills, and steams totally fine so I'm assuming it's an issue only with the pressure gauge (I can hear steam boiler turn off so it's not running forever). I sent a message to WLL asking if I could replace the gauge myself and they responded quickly with an offer to send me a free replacement (I only pay shipping of $6) and assurance that I could replace it myself so when it arrives I'll be doing that. Kind of annoying but all in all stuff happens and hope it's as easy of a fix as I think it will be!
That happened to me right out of the gate. I took it back to the store and the tech quickly fixed it. There was some kind of blockage (water or something else) - he just used a needle to clear it and it has worked fine since.

alleyooptroop

#135: Post by alleyooptroop »

I just had a chat with a tech at WLL. My 300 arrives later this week but I wanted to get some info on maintenance. In particular with regards to descaling. The tech said that descaling was NOT recommended be done by the owner and that it had to be done by a professional. I do have a filter hooked up to my fridge water dispenser which she said should be enough to prevent build up. I also asked about the bwt best save anti scale filter which she said was a good idea. They also mention it in one of their videos. Is all this info accurate?

alleyooptroop

#136: Post by alleyooptroop »

from the manual. Is anyone following this descaling procedure?

Please proceed as follows:
1 Turn the machine on by switching the metal switch upwards. The coffee boiler is now being heated to the preset temperature (reg. PID-display).
2 Mix the descaling powder with water according to the instructions and pour it into the tank.
3 Turn the coffee switch to the upper position and release about 400 ml water through the brew group. The coffee boiler is now filled with descaling liquid.
4 Now clamp the portafilter with blind filter into the brew group and operate the coffee switch for about 20 seconds. Repeat this step twice and let the descaling liquid soak for about 1⁄2 hr.
5 Turn the steam boiler on.
6 After the steam pressure has been reached, turn the machine off and empty the water out of the steam boiler by way of the hot water dispenser.
7 Turn the machine on, the steam boiler as well. The empty steam boiler is now being filled with descaling liquid.
8 The machine heats both boilers to the preset temperature. Let the descaling liquid soak for about 1⁄2 hr.
after the operating pressure has been reached.
9 Unclamp the portafilter and empty the remaining descaler through the brew group by activating the coffee switch.
10 Turn the machine off and empty out the steam boiler by activating the hot water release.
11 Empty out the water tank, rinse it thoroughly, fill with fresh water and place it back into the machine.
12 Turn on the coffee and steam boiler. This automatically fills the steam boiler with fresh water. When this
boiler is full, activate the coffee switch in order to fill the coffee boiler with fresh water until about 500 ml water has been discharged through the brew group.
13 Refill the water tank.
14 Clamp the portafilter with blind filter back into the brew group and activate the coffee switch 3 times for about 20 seconds. Then, often activate the coffee switch until the entire system has been flushed. Now remove the blind filter from the portafilter.
15 Activate the coffee switch and flush fresh water through the brew group for about 60 seconds.
16 Turn the machine off and empty out the steam boiler by activating the hot water release. To refill the boiler with fresh water, you have to switch the machine on again.
17 Repeat the flushing at a minimum of 5 times in order to flush both boilers.
18 Flush both boilers until clear, neutral smelling water comes out of both the brew group and the hot water release.

thecoffeefield

#137: Post by thecoffeefield »

This looks like a great machine but I just hope few things will be updated in the next version (Profitec 400?):
  • front of the machine where the knobs are is pretty bland. This could be easily fixed if the lights and knobs are made bigger and a cup rail is added to the top of the machine (even as an option)
    The steam boiler is made bigger
    Preinfusion is added
    Steam pressure gauge
In exchange I will be willing to spend 200 more ($1750). I think that will still be a bargain while solving for some of the machine's shortcomings. One of the many reasons I'm hesitant to upgrade from the Silvia (w. PID) I have is the fact that machines I can afford are mostly heat exchanger machine and I will end up sacrificing temperature control and the ability to play with temperature to suit different coffees. I found temperature surfing to be kind of annoying especially after some time, mostly because I had no way to confirm the brew temperature by seeing it somewhere, it was mostly guesswork.

mania

#138: Post by mania replying to thecoffeefield »

You kind of just blew this machine out of what it is & where it sits on their line up
Not to mention you would like a lot for $200 :D :D

Really though it is a great machine as it is & nails a sweet spot.
Things like knobs are individual prefs
Cup rail? No point really as top is not vented
I do keep 2 cap cups & 2 espresso cups up there but really they are not going anywhere/need a rail

Larger Steam boiler...again beauty of machine is as designed for a reason.
Rapid start times due to boiler sizes & rapid reheat of the smaller boiler also means I have
never had to wait for more steam even when doing 6 cappuccinos in a row for guests

I am very happy with this machine & would not change a thing really :wink:

thecoffeefield

#139: Post by thecoffeefield replying to mania »

My main concern is steaming. I do not want the boiler to run out of steam if I'm steaming a 12 oz of milk in a 20 oz pitcher.

mania

#140: Post by mania replying to thecoffeefield »

Sorry can't say for sure as I make 6-8oz drinks one at a time
I dont want frothed milk sitting waiting on an espresso

But with that I have never been anywhere near running out of steam afaik

Maybe someone that steams 12oz milk will chime in