Steam detection to turn on heating element

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
tohenk2

#1: Post by tohenk2 »

I got a tip on HB concerning steaming milk on a machine with a small boiler.

If you first let a bit steam off, the pressure will drop (as will the temperature). This will be corrected by the machine and the heating element will go on. If you start to steam your milk just before the element would switch off, the pressure drops again (but not as much as before) and the heating element stays on and keeps trying to get the right pressure and temperature.

It works, but feels like a workaround. Even if I use it also to make a piece of cloth wet to later clean the steam nozzle with.

This got me wondering. Essentially you turn the heating element on before you really steam your milk. I do not like the idea of doing this manually with a separate knob (at least not if it has no safeguards like upper pressure). Could I detect the opening and closing of the steam valve to immediately switch the heating element on and off?

Most E61 machines have a joystick or a turning knob at the end of a pipe sticking out of the front plate. To far out for a sort of solution you see with the E61 group head lever I think.

So - is there any way to detect the opening and closing of the steam valve early on? Sensors to detect streaming steam?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

tohenk2 wrote:Could I detect the opening and closing of the steam valve to immediately switch the heating element on and off?
IIRC, the Solis 90 (not sure?) had a microswitch on the steam valve that immediately turned on the heating element to get a head start on the thermostat. That feature didn't catch on with other espresso machines, so owners of small single boilers have to force the heating element on by releasing some steam first and then timing to keep it on. For a few dollars, I suppose you could add a momentary switch to accomplish much the same (insert usual caveats about modifying electrical appliances).
Dan Kehn

tohenk2 (original poster)

#3: Post by tohenk2 (original poster) replying to HB »

Thanks for the reply! And now that I Googled it, I can see why it didn't catch on ...

"A common problem with both the SL 70 and 90 is that the cam on the steam valve shaft that operates the microswitch becomes loose"

Hmm. Gaggia also used (uses?) it, as did some others. Just doesn't get advertised much. I wonder why? :wink:

BTW I also use this trick/procedure on double boiler machines. Not all machines need it, but for some reason the newer ones with PID-control seem to need it more.