DIY custom espresso wood parts

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
double0

#1: Post by double0 »

Gentlemen,

I now have my semi dream espresso set up (for now :) but it seems like it needs to be personalized in some way. I figured why not some wood parts. Maybe dark walnut or mahogany.

So, I am inquiring the internet to guide me to the most efficient way to make a grinder hopper and doser lid. I will like to do a portafilter handle but that'll be next.

I consulted google and this is what i got, but couldn't find a DIY or a blog post on how to go about making one.

Any woodworkers out there? Pls help!

What I have to work with as far as tools:
Handsaw, Sawmill, router, router circle jig, hand tools, etc. not your typical woodworking equipment. Open to buying low cost items.

A simple yet elegant lid will be nice. Flat top vs oval is also nice as well.

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Have you noticed the work by cannonfodder?

Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine

He does a lot of work with a lathe. It may be cheaper to hire him then to diy.

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Having said that, you could make some domed lids with your router, a straight bit and a jig.

I wish I still had my cnc.... Work like this would be fun!

double0 (original poster)

#4: Post by double0 (original poster) »

Bodka Coffee wrote:Have you noticed the work by cannonfodder?

Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine

He does a lot of work with a lathe. It may be cheaper to hire him then to diy.

Thank you for your response,

Is the oval shape lid done with a lathe? I couldn't picture doing it with a router.
I figured since i liked the flat top over the oval, i might as well try it out with a router.
thanks again,

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

Assuming you have room, watch the local craigslist for a lathe I watch here in Los Angeles and nice old ones show up pretty often. Though remember about things like that, the stuff you need to use it will cost 3 to 5 times what the machine does unless you find the perfect answer used.

Ira

Bodka Coffee

#6: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I would do it with a lathe.

bluesman

#7: Post by bluesman »

ira wrote:Assuming you have room, watch the local craigslist for a lathe I watch here in Los Angeles and nice old ones show up pretty often. Though remember about things like that, the stuff you need to use it will cost 3 to 5 times what the machine does unless you find the perfect answer used.

Ira
Unless you already have some knowledge and experience, buying a lathe will not put you much closer to having the parts you want. There's a serious learning curve, and you won't be turning out items like that domed cover until you get through the basics (I've been machining wood & metal for 5 decades). You'll also need the tooling, safety equipment etc to do it right. It'd be mighty tough to make that cover just with a router - it'd be a lot easier to shape it on a large belt or disc sander, holding it with a "stem" in the middle of the back side and using a simple jig with a central hole & support to rotate it against the abrasive. You can rout the perimeter step and the finger grooves.

I'd consider taking a woodworking course at a local school - you could make your parts on good equipment as projects, with the supervision and help of the teaching staff.