Sonofresco roast quality

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ron231

#1: Post by ron231 »

I am considering getting either a sonofresco 2lb or a mill city 1kg roaster, the sonofresco obviously has some size and convenience advantages as well as a lower price. My main concern with it is that even with the ADR software it may not be able to achieve the same quality flavor wise as a drum roaster. Am I being silly or is this true? Any input is welcomed, thanks!

edtbjon

#2: Post by edtbjon »

I did consider both of your suggestions. I ended up with (the third) a Huky500, mostly due to me wanting a drum roaster and full control. Partly due to dragging a 200# roaster up to the third floor didn't make sense to me. If you feel that the Sonofresco is your "final" choice, go for it. IMO it's a bit too automatic. Else if you have the space, go for the North TJ-067, with whitch you have every opportunity to control (and learn how to control) just about every aspect of the roast profile. The support from MillCityRoasters seems excellent.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, Boot Camp Coffee gave a nice intro to the Sonofresco and cupped it vs. a San Franciscan: https://bootcampcoffee.com/sonofresco/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ron231 (original poster)

#4: Post by ron231 (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

I saw this but its just one person's opinion and I have little faith in his cupping ability since he keeps swallowing.

Clint Orchuk

#5: Post by Clint Orchuk »

So if he had spit out the coffee he cupped, you would have more faith in his cupping ability?