La Cimbali M21 Jr (vibratory pump/pourover) not taking in water

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dherold

#1: Post by dherold »

Hello, I have a 10 year old M21 (Pourover) that was sitting for 6 months and I finally got it set up to go and it is NOT taking in fresh water. I tried using syringe to "prime", however getting resistance.

Is there a valve that may be stuck closed that regulates water into the boiler? Is it reachable and fixable easily?

Or could this be a bigger issue?

It took water in for few minutes then stopped completely.

I don't want to burn out heating elements so shut off.

Has anyone run into this issue and perhaps have suggestions?

Appreciate it.

(this is pour over with vibratory NOT rotary pump)

Thank you
David

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I would start by disconnecting the pump outlet and see if it pushes out water or if it's meeting resistance (insert usual disclaimer about the risk of working on electrical equipment). The group solenoid could be stuck.
Dan Kehn

dherold (original poster)

#3: Post by dherold (original poster) »

HI, the plot thickens.

It was able to draw enough water (and I forced some into boiler with syringe) to test and solenoid--and once at temperature, it seems the group head does open and let out water. Also the other path (Water wand/steam wand) both function. . . However, the pump is still not creating suction consistently to draw in new water and I am meeting resistance trying to force water into the silicone tubing.

Is there another valve on the intake to boiler?

Could there be air trapped in system?

Could it still be group solenoid (though it is opening to pull shot of water once at temperature). . not seeming to work if cold however.

I'm having a hard time completely disassembling, however do believe the group solenoid is right on top (Says Parker) but Im not sure the problem. Perhaps the problem is further back where the water gets drawn into the boiler? Maybe still solenoid?
Any suggestions? Appreciate it,

David

petr0x

#4: Post by petr0x »

Hi,
usually there is a valve for filling boiler, but no valve before the grouphead.
Does the water output from the grouphead seems to be flowing nicely?

I can point you to the pump. I had a machine, it was just 2 years old, and there was worn out gasket in the pump causing similar problems. Not taking water. When primed, taking little water but not making enough pressure.

10 years old machine...I would personally take it apart and clean it, it is worth to check all components and make some cleaning also.

#5: Post by dherold (original poster) »

Hello, thank you for advice, I'm beginning to suspect a gasket inside pump.

When primed completely, can get flow (seems a bit slow from grouphead) and as soon as any air in line, pump loses suction and needs to be completely reprimed. I can get water flowing from grouphead while also sucking in water from the tank - a complete circuit -----as long as I primed pump. Again, water flow seems a bit slow from grouphead, but hard to judge (( havent been able to pull a shot yet, just trying to get flow).

I have never taken unit apart completely , but will attempt. I cannot find easy guide for La Cimbali tank model. I believe I must remove top first then take out tank assembly to be able to access screws to remove side plates. I did find a schematic but no details.

The pump is a vibratory pump and I'm not sure how difficult to replace (or expensive for parts). I wonder if the pump itself has any user replacement parts (such as gaskets/seals)

The problem you described with your 2 year old pump issue sounds just like mine.

Thank you for your advice.

David

petr0x

#6: Post by petr0x »

I am pleased to help you.
Once you will take the pump out, figure out what type it is. Mine was Ulka EX5, but even different models are pretty same. Then disassemble it. This webpage can help you. The suspected gasket is numbered "2" and should slide onto the stainless stell piston nicely (the only silver-shiny part on picture). Mine had a small gap.
http://ulkapumprepair.blogspot.cz/2008/ ... -page.html
userpix/21956_ulka_ex5.jpg
Normally you will replace the pump but if you can obtain the o-ring gasket in local shops, do it. Mine cost almost nothing, dimensions were 5mm inner dia., 2mm thickness. But first check the pump and if the gasket really seems to be worn.

#7: Post by dherold (original poster) »

Thank you, I'm trying to take apart machine now (two screws on either side are obstructed by the water tank, I need to remove tank first or find tiny throw screwdriver.

I bet it's the same Ulka pump you had, will follow up, soon

David

#8: Post by dherold (original poster) »

This may sound ridiculous to most of you experts, but how do I remove side panels on Jr? Is there a trick to slide them off? I unscrewed top and do not see any easy way to remove side panels to access pump. I feel embarrassed but I've been struggling looking for a clip or button? Thank you, D

#9: Post by dherold (original poster) »

Hello, has anyone ever replaced the vibratory pump in the Junior. I was able to open up case and discovered pump is under boiler and not easily accessible. It is screwed in with screws going into bottom of case (no nuts) and there is metal bracket bent above the screws-making access challenging (see second photo).

There must be a trick or easier way to replace the Ulka pump. I'm having difficulty accessing it.

Attached are photos

Any suggestions kindly appreciated (Other than buy a new machine :) )
David