Deciding on La Marzocco Linea Mini, GS3, or used two group GB5 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
charlesaf3 (original poster)

#31: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

yeah, my conclusion as well. But same issue of guessing from pics and reviews.

I also can't tell from what I've read so far how accurate the dial on the mini is. If when it says 200, it's 200, that's sufficient for me. The knob itself certainly looks much easier than my vivaldi's temp adjustment.

#32: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

Pulled the trigger on a mini, so now to see how I like it

JonF

#33: Post by JonF replying to charlesaf3 »

Congrats! As a fellow Vivaldi owner, I am looking forward to your review!

skypickle

#34: Post by skypickle »

so how's the mini? I have been following this thread as I am in the same boat. :) Doesn't the mini also have a 'paddle'? Or is it simply an on and off switch? Also, does the mini allow pressure control easily?

LaMarzooka

#35: Post by LaMarzooka »

Excellent choice going with the Linea Mini; like you, I don't feel the GS/3 is worth the price difference.

So...will your savings go towards a future grinder upgrade? :wink:
Espresso or no go!

JonF

#36: Post by JonF »

Had a chance to visit La Marzocco headquarters in Seattle, and had a great tour by Chris. There are a LOT of machines and grinders back in the warehouse. Nice to see that every unit is test fired before it ships out.

My main interest was in the Linea Mini, but it was great to actually see a GS3 in person too. Both are pretty amazing. I have to admit to liking the ergonomics of the Mini. I can't quite imagine what LM were thinking in combining the on/off switch with the hot-water dispenser. Of course, there is kind of a built-in negative reinforcement if you do this more than once . . :wink: The motion of the steam want is also more like I am used to with the Mini. I think it would be hard to steam straight out from the machine with the GS3.

I was able to take quite a few measurements. I wish the cup heater on the Mini was more towards the front of the unit, less than towards the back. Does the solid plate above the group get a little warm too?

For my use, the lower height of the GS3 is a clear advantage, but I really like the layout of the Mini.

#37: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

It gets warm, but cup heating is not the mini's greatest strength. The Vivaldi does a better job. Still, the cups do get warm, though not hot.

Might be a function of the plastic side panels on the vivaldi, as the minis sides are noticeably warmer, but the top cooler.

DeanOelsch

#38: Post by DeanOelsch »

Hi Charles. I run an advertising agency (14 people) and have thus, grown a serious coffee addiction. At home I have a Mazzer Mini E with SJ burrs and a pretty basic Expobar single group head. I am looking at installing a proper machine at the office so I may serve clients, staff and guests good coffee.

The Linea Mini, thanks to a horrible recent devaluation of the local currency, has increased in price by almost 45%. I could therefore get a used GB5 for cheaper than a new Mini. A new GS3 is ludicrously expensive here now though.

I am eager to hear how it's going? Which grinder you went with for the upgrade? And how accurate the temp control is? I have spent 3 years without pressure control so have become pretty reliant on accurate grinder settings, careful tamping and a naked portafilter to pour shots. I am thus not too phased by the Linea vs GS3 as I am pretty set on the Linea. I was just curious to know how it's been? Thanks

#39: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) replying to DeanOelsch »

Hi,

Lets see. I elected against the GB5 because of need (don't need it) and repair costs/uncertainty. If you have the space, and get a price on the GB 5 that allows for the possible huge repair bills (which were possibly going to be higher than the cost of the mini for me) I'd go with that, but make sure a local coffee tech signs off.

I went with the compak e10 grinder. Excellent grinds, though the doser has more weight variation than I hope for. I might have gotten a minorly defective doser. I do find my mazzer mini works, though is noticeably less interesting in the shot. I use the mini for decaf now, and am pleased with that.

pressure control - the Mini is not that forgiving by my standards. But I weigh, use naked etc like you, and I'm getting good shots now. There was a ramp up.

My milk is finally within sight of commercial quality, though the linea has so much power that you really can't mess up and recover. At least I can't.

I remain pleased with the purchase. When someone comes out with a pre-infusion mod, I'll probably do it after warranty is up.