Customized Vintage Astoria Lever! - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thepatman (original poster)

#11: Post by thepatman (original poster) »

Nonineto wrote:Love the black color combination. And the low profile drip tray looks awesome! Are the black caps on the group stainless/brass and painted or plastic?
Great job!
They're just the stock plastic. I'd love to do some brass ones - maybe down the line as my skills improve a bit. Haven't worked with metal at all prior to this project

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

The group covers are optional. Here's Clint Orchuk's Astoria lever in his coffee shop last month.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bodka Coffee

#13: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I thought I'd need to build a new frame to get the steam and water knobs back a bit. It doesn't look like Clint did though

Bodka Coffee

#14: Post by Bodka Coffee »

OP, where can I get parts for the fill valve for an Astoria?

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Bodka Coffee wrote:I thought I'd need to build a new frame to get the steam and water knobs back a bit. It doesn't look like Clint did though
He pulled me one of the better shots I've had recently on that machine. These are great performers.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Clint Orchuk

#16: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Hi Pat, our lever was built in 1988. It was sold by Mr. Espresso. The group covers on our are metal but they were painted black. We had the paint removed with the hope of polishing them but never got around to it. In the end we thought the groups looked better without the covers.

We thought about moving the valve knobs back also but it was beyond my machining skills. Another option is to source completely different valves like on an old Faema and retrofit them.

You did a great job on your machine. I'd really like to get the open group conversion finished on our machine. I'll be in touch.

Dave try General Espresso Equipment for Astoria lever parts.

thepatman (original poster)

#17: Post by thepatman (original poster) »

Bodka Coffee wrote:OP, where can I get parts for the fill valve for an Astoria?

Yeah like Clint said call general espresso. They weren't much help to me but I was looking for a more obscure cosmetic part.

Thanks so much for the high regards and the info Clint. They're really beasty machines, I'm amazed at the consistency we get running propane and making 100+ drinks back to back. Just don't forget to fill the boiler constantly haha!

Bodka Coffee

#18: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Thanks guys. I wonder how many Astoria levers there our with propane out there? I have the burner but haven't installed it.

doubleOsoul

#19: Post by doubleOsoul »

You did a great job, Patrick. Clint had a good idea about retrofitting some Faema knobs.