Difference between commercially and home roasted coffee - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
turtle

#11: Post by turtle »

OctagonCoffee wrote:Thanks for the link!
I wish I could measure temperature! Is there any good way to put thermometer into these kind of manual machine?

anyway, thank you for the log sheet, now I'm pumped to do this X)
A direct/reflective read infrared is better than nothing and they are not very expensive.

Use the temp you get from one in a relative manner instead of absolute. I.E. Record the temp you get based on the roast and use that temp reading relative to change more or less temp for your roast. You will not get a perfect temp read but this will allow you to have consistency (getting to the same temp reading should result in the same roast, time after time).

Once you can get to a consistent roast level you are just about there as far as your roasting profile goes. A temp reading is just a tool to get your roasts consistent based on temperature.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Advertisement
ripcityman

#12: Post by ripcityman »

Interesting device. I notice from your profile you are in Tokyo. I also see an etching or stamp on the roaster. Is this a commercial product available there? If so, is their a video on it somewhere on the net? I have my own roaster that is spun over a flame, but it is an enclosed body type. This is like a whirly pop, but open bottom.

Does your roast come out an even color? Any scorching due to open flame?

OctagonCoffee (original poster)

#13: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) replying to ripcityman »

Thanks for your reply Mick :)
I was thinking about that thermometer too, but I wasn't really sure if that kind of thermometer works for roasting.
Now I think that I should give it try!
Hi!
I bought this roaster from Japanese guy who made this, and he sells them on his website.
http://www.auvelcraft.co.jp/coffee/

I don't know if he can send to another country, but I can contact him if he is willing to do so!
here is the video of him roasting. he roasted pretty dark though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNuq-P3w6M

From my experience, this can roast pretty even. Also flame won't go tall enough to burn coffee beans.
here are beans that I roasted 3 days ago.

turtle

#14: Post by turtle »

Nice even looking roast.

Watching the video was a real pleasure (even though I could not understand the words).

Looks like a good easy to use product that provides consistent results.

Do you use a count up timer? This might be more helpful than the infrared temp gun which would only be useful for recording the temps at different times since you would need to hold it in one hand and turn the roaster with the other unless you made a steady stand and kept the temp reader on through out the roast then recorded the temps and time at the critical times during the roasting process (EOD, FCb, FCe, etc).

Do you use the same method of cooling your beans as was shown in the video? A hair dryer or heat gun with the heat element turned off looks like a nice way to move air over the roasted beans to stop the roasting process.

#15: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks! It is good to know that my roast is even :)

Yes, I use my phone stopwatch to keep track on time. Actually it is not going to be that hard to use thermometer on my other hand, but if timer is good enough, I don't know if I am going to buy one though.

I don't use hair dryer, but I just dump them out as quick as I can and cool them using a fan. He said a fan is also okay in the video. I am pretty sure it took me about 5-6 mins to bring down bean temperature to room temp using a fan.

turtle

#16: Post by turtle »

OctagonCoffee wrote:Thanks! It is good to know that my roast is even :)

Yes, I use my phone stopwatch to keep track on time. Actually it is not going to be that hard to use thermometer on my other hand, but if timer is good enough, I don't know if I am going to buy one though.

I don't use hair dryer, but I just dump them out as quick as I can and cool them using a fan. He said a fan is also okay in the video. I am pretty sure it took me about 5-6 mins to bring down bean temperature to room temp using a fan.

People seem to go "gadget crazy" when they first get into a new hobby.

Use the tools you have on hand (your phone or a digital watch) before adding more that will take your attention away from your roast.

I still roast by sight, smell, and sound.

I use temp probes and a timer to "verify" that what I am seeing, smelling, and hearing is happening when I want them to happen.

If there were a discrepancy I would go with my senses over mechanical devices to make my decisions during a roast.

#17: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for your advice :)

As you said, I'll do my best with what I have now.
Actually, I roasted a batch today and tried to roast as close as last time. I haven't tasted it yet but it seems like I got the similar result (although it ended faster).
I feel like I am getting better and consistent at roasting with my roaster, so I'll just keep doing what I have been doing!

Advertisement
ripcityman

#18: Post by ripcityman »

Loved the video. I see he is using a butane stove. They get a bit expensive to run as the bottles are 2 bucks here in the US, and can not be refilled. I use Coleman propane stove as I have a brass valve that I can use to refill the 1 pound propane bottles. Try to get your cooling time down to 2 minutes maximum. I use a large fan and aluminum screen.

weebit_nutty

#19: Post by weebit_nutty »

turtle wrote:People seem to go "gadget crazy" when they first get into a new hobby.

Use the tools you have on hand (your phone or a digital watch) before adding more that will take your attention away from your roast.

I still roast by sight, smell, and sound.

I use temp probes and a timer to "verify" that what I am seeing, smelling, and hearing is happening when I want them to happen.

If there were a discrepancy I would go with my senses over mechanical devices to make my decisions during a roast.
+1 This is the best, most fun way to roast imo.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?