2 great San Francisco stops

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
bluesman

#1: Post by bluesman »

Papal madness had Philly in such a grip that we decided to split for the duration - I couldn't get to work, the main roads between our house and center city were closed, and it was generally a mess. So we took a little trip to San Francisco to visit friends. Others have mentioned Jane here before, so I dragged my wife and friends down there for what turned out to be great coffee! I had to see how their work with Hair Bender compares to my own, so I had an espresso and a cortado. Both were excellent - the shot was no tastier than mine but had bigger mouth feel and was a bit more enjoyable than anything I've pulled at home. I must need a new grinder....

The next morning, we went to a fabulous bakery called Tartine, where the barista was weighing both the dose and the shot to get a perfect 100% extraction as I walked up to the counter. The four of us had caps and espressos, and we all agreed that they were among the best we've ever had (as was the pastry - I had a banana cream tart that was absolutely fabulous, and my wife's pain chocolat was equally stellar). And the barista's a very fine guy from our part of the world.

Jane and Tartine - two outstanding places in San Fran to get coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Glad you enjoyed your trip. James Freeman (of Blue Bottle Coffee) recently acquired Tartine Bakery.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bluesman (original poster)

#3: Post by bluesman (original poster) replying to TomC »

Interesting! From the taste and the descriptions on the BB website, I think they were pulling 17' Ceiling - but I forgot to ask. One of my wife's friends from childhood and her husband have lived in SF for about 40 years, and we visit them at least twice annually. We love to try the coffee shops, bars and restaurants - last time, we focused on Four Barrel in the Mission for coffee and hit Hardwater for our spirits. We got to Progress for dinner this time, and we did the Anchor brewery tour and tasting. Philly can hold its own against SF, but it's always great to see how the other coast lives. We'll probably be out again in the spring. 8)

Carneiro

#4: Post by Carneiro »

I'm in Fremont until 10/10, but mostly going to SF every day, except weekends - next one will be Napa. I'll try Jane, didn't know about it.

If any fellow HBer wants to have some coffee, let's go! Sorry about such long silence, I'm not so much active on coffee stuff these days, but for sure drinking it (mostly good coffee) every day.

Márcio.

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B replying to Carneiro »

Napa County is a little wanting for outstanding coffee, but Ritual has a shop in the Oxbow Center in the town of Napa.
- John

LMWDP # 577

csepulv

#6: Post by csepulv »

I'd recommend Linea Caffe in the Mission. It is my favorite cafe in SF.
Chris

Kipp

#7: Post by Kipp »

I highly recommend Scarlet City Coffee in Emeryville just across the the Bay Bridge from SF.

The owner/roaster Jen, was the roaster for Espresso Vivace for 5 years, up until 15 years ago. She roasts in the same Northern Italian/2nd wave style but with more clarity.

The other owner/bar manager/barista pulled hands down the best shots I've had in California. Well worth the effort to visit these ladies.

When you are heading to Napa get an appointment to go to Outpost Wines. Thomas Brown is the winemaker and it's where all the best winemakers in Napa go to drink. He makes most of the best wines in the valley under the Outpost label and for many others. He is the King of Zins, Cabs, and has arguably the best Grenache anywhere.

Carneiro

#8: Post by Carneiro »

Great tips, thanks! I was about to ask about Napa and coffee. Thanks for the wine tip too.

I've seen Linea two times but I had no chance to stop, but I'll get back to Mission at least to buy coffee before I leave.

bluesman (original poster)

#9: Post by bluesman (original poster) »

Carneiro wrote: I'll get back to Mission at least to buy coffee before I leave.
If you can, stop for a shot or two at Four Barrel in the Mission - serious coffee people making great stuff!. When we were there several months ago, they had an original La Marzocco "shot puller" and what looked to me like a motorized HG 1, from which they made some of the best espresso I ever had.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

bluesman wrote:If you can, stop for a shot or two at Four Barrel in the Mission - serious coffee people making great stuff!. When we were there several months ago, they had an original La Marzocco "shot puller" and what looked to me like a motorized HG 1, from which they made some of the best espresso I ever had.
Carneiro wrote:Great tips, thanks! I was about to ask about Napa and coffee. Thanks for the wine tip too.

I've seen Linea two times but I had no chance to stop, but I'll get back to Mission at least to buy coffee before I leave.

If you're in the Mission, there's great pour-over coffee at Stanza (featuring up to 6 different excellent roasters). Definitely don't miss the chance to drop in to Linea Caffe, they're only 3 blocks away.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/