New LIDO beats Mazzer Super Jolly, now looking to upgrade - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
GregR (original poster)

#11: Post by GregR (original poster) »

By now I've had enough time with the Lido to really see how things are different between it and the SJ. The shots are more intense overall through the Lido and the timing, density and progression of the stream coming out of the portafilter is more what would be considered ideal. To the best of my ability, over the course of several days, I dialed in both grinders for a great SO Guat. With the Lido there was wiggle room- good shots from a little coarser or a little finer, flavor was epic. With the SJ I had it in the sweet spot- not as much wiggle room but still solid pulls. 22 seconds to blond and very tasty but not in the same league. With the Lido it was 26 seconds to blond. The grinds from the Lido are much fluffier- sounds weird but it has been 100% consistent with all these properties-- fluffy, timing, etc.
Another thing that surprised me is when I first got the Lido I used it on a bean that was very lightly roasted- underdeveloped for espresso for sure. The SJ simply couldn't get a good shot with it- tried and tried, stirred the grinds with a paperclip etc. and no matter what I did the shots were no good. The Lido was able to produce the proper timing and volume easily- only took a couple of adjustments to get it right. Still tasted bad but that wasn't either grinder's fault.
Regarding the sharpness of the burrs- with only 35 pounds thru the Super Jolly I can't imagine the burrs are dull already but I'll take it apart and check. When I first put the burrs in it took 12 seconds to grind 18g and this morning it took 12 seconds- no change. But I'll take it apart and check to know for sure.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by emradguy »

Personally, I think the difference between flat and conical burrs is quite noticeable and which one prefers is a matter of personal taste. My personal impression, having compared Mazzer Major and OE Pharos (side by side taste tests dialed in to nearly exactly equal dose in and dose out weight measurements at the same timing, using multiple straight shots and multiple milk-based drinks) is that the flat burrs somewhat squash the fruity and flowery aromatics, while the conicals separate out more flavor components giving them nearly equal "weight". I also experience a smoother mouthfeel from the conical burrs.

If you are interested in a Pharos, there is one recently posted for sale on the CG BST board. some VDD mods offered for $360 (iirc).
LMWDP #748

GregR (original poster)

#13: Post by GregR (original poster) »

Thanks for your thoughts- I appreciate the insight. I decided to get a Compak K10 for the house and the Lido will be for travel. In the mean time I'm using the Lido and have the grind time down to just under 35 seconds. I think that wakes me up faster than the first shot at 5 in the morning :)
Sorry Mazzer- it was fun while it lasted.