Recommend used Mazzer Super Jolly or what to newbie?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SwingT

#1: Post by SwingT »

I recommended a used Super Jolly to a friend wanting to start out on her espresso journey.

Is that still a good recommendation?

If she can't find a used Super Jolly, what would be a good recommendation for new, in the $350 to $400, or thereabout price range?

She is not really interested in coffee, mainly wants to do one espresso each morning so she doesn't require a bunch of variable and repeatable settings.

Thanks

Ken
LMWDP #258

KmanChu

#2: Post by KmanChu »

I am currently trying to decide which grinder to upgrade to from my Lelit PL53. The Vario comes up a lot but I'm not quite sold due to durability. The black Quamar M80e is on sale with 1st-line for $450. Maybe if you call you can get it for a little less? Same burr class as the SJ and you get the electronic, doserless controls. If it is someone that just wants something for espresso only and is reliable, the cheapo lelit PL53 works well. I have been using one for like 8 years with my pavoni lever. It's a bit rough around the edges but it works well and is very consistent.

Advertisement
SwingT (original poster)

#3: Post by SwingT (original poster) »

Kelly, I appreciate the suggestions.

At this point, I am uncertain of her budget or preference for used so your post is a great help.

I have always been glad to share espresso with others and other than my daughter-in-law she is the only person who has expressed an interest in getting a setup. I knew a used Super Jolly would still work well, but haven't been keeping up in recent years.\\

Thanks
LMWDP #258