Ponte Vecchio Lusso or Bezzera Strega - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drgary
Team HB

#31: Post by drgary »

This is starting to look like an issue on which the two of you won't agree, and it's probably not worth belaboring the point.

From user reports apparently both machines can make excellent espresso. Contributors to this thread have already shown their preferences.

In the end it's Ivor's buying decision, and he's likely to end up with good espresso every morning.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Cartwheel

#32: Post by Cartwheel »

I am not sure the machines are comparable. I have a 2 group lusso and was able to play around with a Strega at a local shop that has one on display. My sample shot from that machine was pretty awesome. The machines are not in the same league- the Strega is... well it makes the lusso look like a toy. I'm not getting rid of my lusso any time soon however- I can make great drinks with it. The Lusso is really a bit rough around the edges, and if that fit and finish is important then the Strega is head and shoulders above. I'm not sure about the "temperature stability" comments- I find that once our machine is warmed up well I can pull shot after shot without tasting temperature, so maybe I'm not that sensitive. Our machine stays on pretty much all day on weekends and I can pull an enjoyable shot any time without warm-up flushes or other interventions. If you are ok with springing for a Strega it is a nicer build, offers more options for making shots and can make great shots. If you don't want to spend Strega money, the lusso can make great shots too and is very user-friendly.

Ivor (original poster)

#33: Post by Ivor (original poster) replying to Cartwheel »

Hi, thanks for sharing.

How long have you had the Lusso? Have you bought it new or s/h? If it was new how did it arrive, did it have any quality control issues?

Cartwheel

#34: Post by Cartwheel »

Hi Ivor,

I've had it a few months now and bought it new from Italy. It took a weekend of playing around before we were making good shots. We use a light tamp and a 11g dose in the double basket.

The machine arrived well packaged but there were quality issues- things not exactly square etc. Both the hot water and steam valve leaked. PV said the machine was likely fitted with the wrong orings and sent new ones. Based on other's experiences I was expecting these sorts of things. Here in Canada the price of a Lusso is significantly less than a Strega.

The Lusso is a very simple machine and I think someone who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty won't have any problems keeping one running indefinitely. I wasn't as worried about the quality issues- and is one reason I bought a double group. No regrets yet...