Rancilio Silvia with ringing noise after descaling

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Clive

#1: Post by Clive »

I picked up a Rancilio Silvia V1 a couple of weeks ago from Craigslist. The buttons, knob, top surface and drip tray show little to no signs of use, and I have been using it with great delight - it exceeds my expectations. I previously had a light commercial HX. Moved countries and couldn't bring it with me. Picked up the Silvia with low expectations, and apart from it being lightweight, it actually makes good coffee & milk.

A few days ago I descaled the Silvia. Since then, it makes a ringing noise while idling just as the heater turns off. Not during brewing. Not during steaming. Not while heating for steam. Only as the heater turns off when set to brew temperature. Quite a pleasant sound, but one that may lead to component fatigue so I want to get rid of it.

Before descaling,the heater would make the odd pinging sound, indicative of a little scale, but not ringing. The heater is now silent until the end of its cycle when a few bubbles can be heard. Then the ringing starts. The ringing sound is like the resonance when running your finger around the rim of a wet red wine glass. Not a hissing of escaping steam.

I found this thread Strange boiler whistling / whistle noise (Rancilio Silvia) and the ringing is the same as the video in post #15. That thread has been locked with no apparent resolution.

Has anyone managed to track down the cause of this ringing?