Brew pressure reading of blind basket vs. Scace thermofilter - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

This discussion can go on ad infintum until such time that you do/or not do as I suggested:
I would suggest you contact Rocket and/or the dealer from whom you purchased the "new" item 2 for instructions.
Only YOU knows who you purchased this replacement part from and only THEY know if it is an "officially" sanctioned replacement part. Personally, I would insist on the original part and adjust as I have previously said or simply soak the disassembled original part in white vinegar and reinstall.

The original part, which you replaced, was NOT readily adjustable. It was designed to relieve at some pressure (definitely less than 9.0 bar) which only Mr. Rocket knows or I would know if you care to send it to me.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

F1 (original poster)

#12: Post by F1 (original poster) »

I don't know from where my thread went from me asking the reason I was seeing 7.9bar with the SCACE on vs 11bar with the blind portafilter on. AKA THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. At no point I was asking how to adjust the pressure. I know how to do that. That new part(ball valve OPV) was bought directly from Rocket. They don't make the original anymore. I have the instructions from Andrew Meo(Rocket company owner) on how to adjust it since last year.

To calibrate both expansions valves you should proceed as follows;

1. Using the blind filter set the smaller expansion valve(number 2 in my picture) to open at 9 bar.
2. Close the tap (number 1)
3. Set the larger expansion valve(number 4) to open at 11.5 bar.
4. Open the tap (number 1)

Anyway, in my original post I mentioned that I didn't like the coffee at 9bar so I went up to 11bar because it tastes like 9bar on my other espresso machine(Profitec 700).

Again, my question was why I don't see a different reading with the SCACE I even if I adjust the pressure on the machine. On my previous post I clarifying the answer I was given.

erics
Supporter ★

#13: Post by erics »

Given the latest set-up instructions you posted, the OPV (item 2) immediately downstream of the ball valve is now the primary pressure (Maximum) regulating mechanism during brewing conditions. The other OPV (item 4) is now being used as a thermal expansion valve.

The reason your machine's gage shows 7.9 bar when flowing through the thermofilter is that the flow rate itself is outside the specifications. This is copied from the previous pdf I linked to:
4.3 Adjustment of Brew Water Flow Rate:

Specification: The flowrate of water through the measurement portafilter shall be measured by a graduated beaker and shall be adjusted so that 75 ml of water is collected in an elapsed time of 25 seconds ± 3 seconds. The allowable volumetric tolerance of the beaker graduations shall be ± 5% or less.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com