How to remove Compak K10/E10 upper burr carrier?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

I just bought a new Compak E10 (actually used as a demo model). Not familiar with this grinder, but the burr collar adjustment seemed stiff, so I removed the burr collar cover to take a closer look (see picture).

I can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise about a half of a turn, but that's it. My question is if it is designed to only turn in that range (eg, uses some kind of stop) and in which case I assume that there is something else that needs to come out to remove it. Or could there be a potential problem with the burr carrier threads?

Please help.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bill33525 »

On my K10 WBC there is a pin that stops the collar from turning more than a turn. After removing the collar find the pin and remove it with pointy nose pliers. Put the collar back on in the correct position and turn it clockwise to remove the top burr carrier. Try to remember the position of the collar when taking it out of the body so you can reinsert the burrs later.
Hope this helps.

keno (original poster)

#3: Post by keno (original poster) »

Bill33525 wrote:On my K10 WBC there is a pin that stops the collar from turning more than a turn. After removing the collar find the pin and remove it with pointy nose pliers.
Got it, thanks! Any suggestions on a lubricant for the threads?

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM replying to keno »

Superlube grease is reportedly a good lube for that.
LMWDP #445

dvngo2001

#5: Post by dvngo2001 »

I have same grinder as yours, Compak E10 conical, bought it new two months ago. I don't think there's any pin stopping the upper carrier from turning clockwise or counter clockwise for more than one turn. As a matter of fact, I've turned the upper carrier clockwise 5-6 turns before putting it back to where it was. Just a word of caution: please do not over-tighten the locking screw since it's easily stripped. I've stripped mine just after few weeks owning the grinder :(

Best,
-Dzung