Used lever espresso machine on a budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
rober1217

#1: Post by rober1217 »

Hi, I currently own a Gaggia Carezza but I would like to get something that can produce better espresso, I am thinking about getting a used lever machine but I don't have a huge budget. I would enjoy something that would be sort of a project to restore so I am not afraid of getting something that would require elbow grease. What can I expect to pay for a used lever espresso machine and where could I search for one other than ebay?

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Used home levers are usually $250 - $500 USD depend on their condition.

You can check out the Buy/Sell forums here or on coffeegeek.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
rober1217 (original poster)

#3: Post by rober1217 (original poster) »

thanks man!

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

Ebay look for an auction ending on weekday morning, they go for the least. Craigslist in the states sometimes but rarely. Estate sales are good places to find them as well.

I have picked up LaPavoni's from 125 to 400. Shop around, they eventually pop up if you are not in a rush.

Things to be aware of, elements that are heavily scaled and even those not heavily scaled can be leaking to the boiler. Newer LaPavoni's still have new elements available. There are some links to Gabor who can rebuild the older ones ( I have some off being repaired now).

If buying La Pavoni, avoid the brass/copper laquered one, nothing good will come of it.

I prefer first gen Pavoni's, date is usually stamped on the bottom under the rubber base. They have the group head that screws into the boiler, no bolts.

Plan on new seals all around, I usually leave the sight glass, as they usually break on the pavoni (cremina changed just fine), if its not broke leave alone the steam wand housing and the relief valve housing to the boiler (replace the seals and spring fine), a 3 prong cord good safety addition.

Cremina, 600-1200 on ebay, fantastic machine, usually just needs new seals, enclosed boiler, replaceable element.

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

Craigslist for Mexico is pretty sparse, so there's likely a local version that will give you better results.

Where in Mexico are you? Any big cities nearby? Usually you can keep checking out the local craigslist-like site for listings. Good ones go fast, and I've seen Cremina go for as low as $99 within 1 hour of posting and several under $400. Depending on where you are it might take a while to see a good used deal, but patience will pay off usually.

If you find a machine you are interested in, but can't find a solid opinion on you can post questions here too.
LMWDP #445