Gaggia Classic trouble steaming cappuccino worthy foam

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
aramis

#1: Post by aramis »

Hello all,

I finally bought a semi-decent machine Gaggia Classic (after trying Gaggia Accademia and getting disgusting shots with it), now meddling in manual world.

I finally got to a point where I can produce a decent espresso after shelling more money on a decent burr grinder (my La Pavoni burr was apparently not up to par) and tamper. However, even after installing the Silvia Wand, I cant seem to get a hang of making any decent cappuccino worthy foam. I tried the panarello wand and it also either produces too big of bubbles that just disappear or not pulling the milk.

The Silvia wand is hard to control a small tilt produces huge useless bubbles but when I do get pulling the milk seems to get too hot too quickly... I saw multiple videos, I don't see anyone producing any cappuccino worthy foam anyway mostly latte microfoam, I seem to get that occasionally also. I am not sure what to blame, I certainly wish I could just get a La Marzocco or Rocket, but I am not sure me spending money will remedy the problem. So is this me, is it the machine? I checked the temperatures and they are within norm... perhaps someone can shine some light on this. I am ready to give up and just get a Capresso frother...

My Nespresso produces perfect foam :)

pinky-and-me

#2: Post by pinky-and-me »

The classic was my starter machine and after using two other machines (one of them a professional La Marzocco at a barista course) I can tell you that the machine does make a difference.

My personal experience is that the quantity and quality of the milk makes a very noticeable difference.
You mention that the milk gets too hot too quickly when pulling - have you tried using more milk? That might help with getting big bubbles as well.
I do notice that if I don't have enough milk in the pitcher I would get the very hot milk with bug bubbles.

Then there are a number of topics on the best kind of milk - it seem that Horizon organic whole milk gives great results (I usually use Organic Valley).

Also, if you have a Counter Culture training center around you you can probably just walk in and ask questions and they will probably let you try on one of their machines.

//Mtech

#3: Post by //Mtech »

I, too, started with a Gaggia Classic. Biggest issue there is temp stability during shot. I found its good for milk drinks (as long as you steam before the shot!) I made more lattes than caps though, so I don't remember how cap foam was. I used the pannarello wand and got silky microfoam so I know it's capable of that. Slow, but capable.

HoldTheOnions

#4: Post by HoldTheOnions »

A lot of people remove the panarello and steam with the nozzle, I had much better results like that.

bean2friends

#5: Post by bean2friends replying to HoldTheOnions »

Me too.

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Also srated with the GC, and indeed also found it was hard to get nice foam.
Quality and freshness of the milk are important so do experiment with brands!
Steaming a larger qty works better, in the end I could make OKish foam but reverted to using a foamer as I only make two or three cappas a day.

The foamer is still in use btw, my current machine is way too powerfull to only steam 3 Oz of milk for a cappa but when I make more than two cappas the steam wand is used.

Think the TS has the Silvia wand, and I do'nt know if that also has a weird object stuck to it like with the original GC wand but if so I'd also try it without.

In the end steaming is a delicate matter with the GC, lot's of testing was required before I got it right, if you want to try techniques I read here that some folks use water with a drop or two of dishwashimg soap so you don't have to keep cows in your garden.
LMWDP #483

aramis (original poster)

#7: Post by aramis (original poster) »

HoldTheOnions wrote:A lot of people remove the panarello and steam with the nozzle, I had much better results like that.
I have the Silvia Wand that i installed instead of the Panarello, that is not an issue..... I think its a nice basic machine and pulls a good espresso if you work it... (a lot) ... Perhaps it is better to invest once into a Rocket ... or something of the sort with a double boiler of larger size....

The Classic is very finicky in terms of steaming, from what I read the thermostat leaves a lot to be desired... oh well I will continue playing.

Soap is a good suggestion..

HoldTheOnions

#8: Post by HoldTheOnions »

//Mtech wrote:I, too, started with a Gaggia Classic. Biggest issue there is temp stability during shot. I found its good for milk drinks (as long as you steam before the shot!) I made more lattes than caps though, so I don't remember how cap foam was. I used the pannarello wand and got silky microfoam so I know it's capable of that. Slow, but capable.
I had a conversation with someone a little while ago who said they use to get really good foam out of the panarello, then it broke, got a new one and then steaming was horrible. Wondering if they changed it at some point.