HG one mod to eliminate need for redistribution - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DanoM

#11: Post by DanoM »

wkmok1 wrote:Very cool. How pliable is this material after it cools? Thanks.
InstaMorph is a great plastic. It has a density and plasticity close to HDPE: milk jug plastic and white plastic cutting boards. Great stuff that wears well too.

It does melt at a lower temp like 140-150F, so don't leave it in the car!!! It's VERY hard to clean off of a car dash once it bonds. :roll:
LMWDP #445

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#12: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

That's interesting ... good to know. But to be clear there is no adhesive in this product (since you use the term bond, some might think there is adhesive). This is a solid plastic that identically to silly putty when softened.

By virtue of it's low melting point, if melted to the point it liquefies I can imagine it might "grab" onto certain textures before cooling solid. If this happens, you just need to heat it back into its liquid form with a hair dryer or gently with a heat gun and it would come right off.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Advertisement
DanoM

#13: Post by DanoM replying to weebit_nutty »

You would think so, but no...
"InstaMorph will bond to certain plastics when warm, sort of like hot melt glue.
It will do this with ABS (ex: Lego bricks), acrylic, polycarbonate, polyester, PVC (ex: tubing), and viny (ex: 3 ring binders).​
InstaMorph does not bond well to wood products and it won't stick to most metals. It also doesn't bond well to other plastics like nylon, polypropylene, silicon, or Teflon."

BTW, the dash of your car is likely VINYL and it will stick to that permanently. (Somewhere around I have some InstaMorph that plastic wrap got onto, and they are one forever. It really seems to like vinyl.) I had to heat, dust with powder, rub that off, heat, dust, rub, heat, dust, rub when it was 105F in Los Angeles recently. It wasn't fun, but at least I didn't need a heat gun to heat the dash! :x :lol:

I heat large blobs with the espresso hot water, roll that out with a pasta maker into thin sheets about 2mm thick. Cut those as necessary for a phone caddy, heat the edge with a bowl of hot water, stick the pieces together and you have a custom phone cradle. Upgrade your phone? Melt down the old cradle and make a new one! Need a phone cradle for video recording on a tripod? Make that too. It's great stuff, and easy to use.
Just don't make a phone caddy for the car, please, please, don't do it!! :D
LMWDP #445

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

Nice Mod!

What made you decide on the pie shape of the opening?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

#15: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) replying to FotonDrv »

Thanks... as to the shape, it was the easiest shape to cut.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by FotonDrv replying to weebit_nutty »

What shape would you choose if you could do it differently?

#17: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

Well I think I would want to modify the sweeper arm so that it has a S or fan shaped bottom, oriented to sweep the grounds towards the center of the cap, where I would cut small hole.

For now without any mod to the sweeping arm I'd stick with the triangular shape offset from being parallel with the sweeper, so as to ensure grounds don't snag between the cap and sweeper. When I tried a smaller triangle one of the sides happened to be parallel with the arm and it made more noise.

Advertisement
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks for the thoughts, which were all good ones :D