Great home grinder for Aeropress

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mooretuba

#1: Post by mooretuba »

I realize that most people on this site are professionals who use mostly high-end grinders. However, in my experience a very convenient grinder to use at home with the Aeropress is the Breville Smartgrinder. Here's why:
It has set it and forget it capabilities for both grind and amount. It's easy to see exactly what is dialed in. It's easy to change (i.e. you want to make an "espresso" in the Aeropress) and go back. But the best thing about it is it is clean- The ground coffee lands on a removable plastic tray, attached magnetically and doesn't end up all over the kitchen. It's especially great for making a single cup of normal coffee. You hit the button once to see your settings, and then hit it again to grind. The grinds fall onto the tray. You put your funnel into the Aeropress, then just take the tray out of the Breville and sift the coffee into the funnel. That's it. Once you've figured out your dosage (which is very easy to play with with the Smart Grinder) you don't have to mess with measuring spoons, bins, etc.
I stumbled onto this method after I once got distracted and forgot to put my portafilter onto the holder to fill it up. I discovered that the grounds just ended up neatly in a little mound on top of the removable tray. This gave me the idea, and it works beautifully with the Aeropress. Saves a lot of time, and if you're half awake, removes a small hassle with morning coffee-making! Not bad at all for a $200 grinder. :)