Adjusting OPV on Rancilio Silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
murphythecat87

#1: Post by murphythecat87 »

I have one question.
I got this pressure gauge to test my silvia V3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portafilter-Pre ... 1182781205

Now, I just read this:
''Static pressure readings are usually higher by 0.5 to 1.0 bar''

I want to adjust my silvia to 9 bar.

So, does that mean that with my gauge, I need to set my OPV at around 8.5 Bar in order to compensate with my static gauge?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Conventional wisdom says a static ~9.5 bar reading corresponds to a 9.0 bar flow reading (e.g., the thread Measuring group static brew pressure versus flowing from 2006), though honestly I wouldn't worry about that level of accuracy. Instead, I recommend adjusting brew pressure by taste; you'll learn how brew pressure impacts taste/pour characteristics. You may even discover that you don't need a gauge to confirm what you already know.
Dan Kehn

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#3: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

thanks a lot!

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#4: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

Im using 49th parallel coffee and they recommend to have 7 bar OPV.
WOW, what a difference!!!! Ive adjusted with a static gauge at about 8bar which, if im not mistaken should give me about 7.5 bar.
The difference in taste is quite impressive!!!! much more smooth and tasty, less biter, more complex, ect.

ben8jam

#5: Post by ben8jam »

Every thread I've read about this the user reports amazing results with the lower brew pressure. Why do they not then come from the factory this way? Is the Silvila meant to support pods too?

I've been getting okay result with my Silvia at whatever pressure it is set to, but curious now to dial it down. I have a gauge but I can't unscrew the spout from the PF to attach it. Though that's a side issue.

NightFlight

#6: Post by NightFlight »

If a screwdriver through the spouts doesn't work a vice will. :twisted:

ben8jam

#7: Post by ben8jam »

Ha genius to stick a screwdriver through the spout. But alas it would not budge a smidge. Tried heating it up. No good either. Are rancilio spouts cast on? Or welded or something? It's actually hard to even see the seem.

NightFlight

#8: Post by NightFlight »

I have not had a silvia portafilter in some time and I am pretty sure the spouts can be removed. Are you turning the correct way?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Thread-locker. Heat and a hammer :D .
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ben8jam

#10: Post by ben8jam »

Heat and hammered. Broke screwdriver. PF 1, me 0

Found this post. Going to try and make the wood spout holder. Though not expecting much.

http://www.pidsilvia.com/spoutremove.htm

Regular right thread is normal righty tighty, right?