New Baratza Vario - crazy static problem

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Matt44

#1: Post by Matt44 »

Howdy folks - I just purchased a Vario 886 (with the metal portaholder). I'm using it with steel burrs for pourover, before starting espresso in a few months. Since my first grind there's been big static - with a lot grounds sticking to the inside of the bin.

Any tips for how to subdue the static? A friend has an earlier Vario w/steel burrs and gets almost zero static in the grounds bin.

Also, I'm assuming it's a static issue, but could it be too many fines? I thought steel burrs produced fewer fines, and that the Vario itself produced fewer, but maybe I got a faulty unit?

Thanks for any input!

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

If you mist the beans with a little water before grinding, the static should be gone. You could search for RDT (Ross Droplet Technique) on the forum.

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

Matt44 wrote:Howdy folks - I just purchased a Vario 886 (with the metal portaholder). I'm using it with steel burrs for pourover, before starting espresso in a few months. Since my first grind there's been big static - with a lot grounds sticking to the inside of the bin.

Any tips for how to subdue the static? A friend has an earlier Vario w/steel burrs and gets almost zero static in the grounds bin.

Also, I'm assuming it's a static issue, but could it be too many fines? I thought steel burrs produced fewer fines, and that the Vario itself produced fewer, but maybe I got a faulty unit?

Thanks for any input!
that's interesting.. I have the same bin on my Forte and its antistatic properties is very good. The only thing that sticks is the chaff (when grinding coarse), otherwise for espresso, very little even sticks to the bin after dispensing the contents.

Anyway RDT should solve the problem. BTW, it takes VERY little water to take effect. even the tiniest drop (like 1/5 of a drop) will work.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

r.rowlan

#4: Post by r.rowlan »

I've noticed if I leave the basket alone for 30-60 seconds after grinding the static is GREATLY reduced. However, my five year old Vario and ceramic burrs do not have much of a static problem now. However, it did when new which is why I used to wait a few seconds before using. I don't remember how long it was before the static issue improved. It was more than a few weeks:(

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

Have you contacted Baratza? I hear they have good support for this kind of thing.

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe »

No static problems whatsoever with my ceramic burr Vario-W. It was purchased used, so don't know previous owner's experience when new.

Is your air conditioning on most of the time? Most refrigeration systems suck a lot of moisture out of the air, which leads to increased static in general.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Matt44 (original poster)

#7: Post by Matt44 (original poster) »

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll try the misting technique if I don't see any improvement. Also, as mentioned, having the AC on may have been a factor; I'll shut it off for the next few days (cooler around here anyway). Hopefully the static issue subsides over time. Other than that, it's a great grinder!

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

cuppajoe wrote:
....Is your air conditioning on most of the time? Most refrigeration systems suck a lot of moisture out of the air, which leads to increased static in general.

I've never believed this is a common finding, mainly because I live in a very stable, humid environment, about 2 blocks from the beach. When Andy Schecter shared the idea that David Ross pioneered with me, it solved every problem I had with static and more importantly, grinder retention. I use it with every single batch of brewed coffee I make on my manual grinders and my Bunnzilla (but it's currently still in a million pieces so not being used). The retention I noted with the HG-One early on raised some dialogue from various users in cities where there was high humidity and also very dry areas. Craig noted very little static if any, down in LA. But I'd be surprised if you'd find a universal agreement by other users in dry environments.

At espresso fine grind settings, it's even worse.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/