Grind time, dosing on Baratza Vario

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
oregonian

#1: Post by oregonian »

Hi,

new to the boards, but have been learning espresso for the last few years. I have a silvia/baratza vario. I have read and watched videos online in the past, and was pulling pretty good shots at home. I use the double basket that came with the silvia (it is the V3). I do not own a gram scale. My problem is that I recently moved, and have been having difficulty re-dialing in my espresso.

I am currently grinding between 9-10 seconds, which fills the double basket, or slightly overfills it. I was previously grinding about 10.5 seconds (I moved to a different region of the country, with significant differences in humidity, temperature, etc). After using a flat edge to remove excess coffee and tamp, I do get a slight indent from the screw after locking in the portafilter (but not the screen). I am pulling shots mostly within the desired time/volume range (25-30 seconds, 1.5-2 ounces), but am not getting the flavor I am looking for; most recently seems my shots are blonding very late or not blonding hardly at all, and my espresso has started to taste more sour.

I know this may be tough to answer, but one question that I had was how many seconds are you grinding on the vario for a double...using the rancilio basket? I was under the impression that up-dosing using this basket is difficult, as there is not much clearance (which has also been my experience). It seems that 9.5 seconds is pretty short, but it does start to overfill the basket, and grinding any longer would give me no headroom between the puck and the screen.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

I single dose my Vario so don't really recall time, I can check tomorrow in the morning. But I dose 18g and the mound is above the basket, then I settle it and tamp. I just put pics up in another thread to help someone that you can see here Metropolis Redline brew parameters

The Silvia is picky about dose b/c of the exposed screw in the screen, so you really should get a scale that measures to .1g then you'll be able to avg the time on the Vario so you'll know what X time gives for X dose, if your not single dosing. 18g in my HQ21 basket I'm around 15 second or so, but not sure, I'd have to check tomorrow. Lock your PF in and then unlock and check the puck to see if theres an indent, or put a nickel on the puck and check. You may still have clearance even if the grinds are above the basket before tamping.

As you found out different lcoations with different weather, humidity etc can affect grind, whether a plastic Vario or heavy commercial grinder. I live in South FL and some days, like today, its humid and storming all day, and have to redial the grind on days like this, not a lot but it has to be done.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

The time per dose will vary with the grind fineness and may be hard to pin down an answer. Without a scale, I think you'll have to go by volumetric measurements in the basket to get the time dialed in. Sounds like your shots are underextracted, tasting sour and not blonding. Maybe try grinding finer and dosing less. Has your water changed as well, this may be impacting your extractions causing you to have to compensate.

I single dose and use a scale, it's just easier for me with my Vario.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

brianl

#4: Post by brianl replying to yakster »

In addition to this, the 'volume/fluffyness' of the ground coffee will vary by bean.

Therefore, I think a scale is essential to use (at least for the first couple of shots with each coffee).

oregonian (original poster)

#5: Post by oregonian (original poster) »

I appreciate the help! I may have to get a scale. Yes, the water has changed as well. Oh, how I miss my Portland Oregon water : (

I will try a finer grind and dosing less. If anyone can give me some #'s in terms of the number of seconds they grind for, it would be great. I guess I was concerned about dosing less as it seems my grind time is already so short!

Maybe it is a total newbie question, but as I have never used a scale...How many grams do most people dose for a double on the rancilio double basket?

cmin

#6: Post by cmin »

You may have to just buy water at the store, jugs are cheap. I live in South FL so we have hard water and its chlorinated, I used to use my fridge filter but filling machine up from that was making me run through filters like crazy.

lawn_wrangler

#7: Post by lawn_wrangler »

First, big +1 on buying a scale. You can get one precise to the 1/10 g for $20 or less. No single thing has improved my coffee as much as measuring each dose and shot. I use the Hario scale, BTW, which has a built in timer as well.
oregonian wrote:If anyone can give me some #'s in terms of the number of seconds they grind for, it would be great. I guess I was concerned about dosing less as it seems my grind time is already so short!
I single dose, so it probably takes me an extra 1-2 seconds to get those last beans hopping around. That said, I get 18g in about 10.5 seconds.
oregonian wrote: Maybe it is a total newbie question, but as I have never used a scale...How many grams do most people dose for a double on the rancilio double basket?
I dose 16.1 into the stock basket*, but the hex screw in the dispersion screen leaves an indentation. Opinions vary on whether or how much that negatively affects the extraction, and I am probably going to buy a flat screen kit from PIDSilvia.com.

*I generally use a VST 18g basket and measure 18.1.

ajf

#8: Post by ajf »

I have a Vario and a Silvia, but I don't use the stock Silvia double basket any more. As I recall, I couldn't fit more than 14 grams in the stock basket. I switched to an HQ 14 basket, which is larger, and now brew with up to 16 grams I checked the capacity of the HQ14 against the Silvia basket (40-100-102), and sure enough, the HQ 14 holds 1.14 times as much.

As for grind time with the Vario, a coarser settings will yield more weight per second than a finer settings. For espresso, my Vario yields approximately 1.84 grams per second, but this depends on the beans being ground, the age of the beans, and the humidity, (and no doubt several other factors that I have not considered). In order to get 15.5 - 16 grams, I typically grind for 8.4 - 8.7 seconds.

Alan