Matt Perger about distribution by tapping - Page 6

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Prescott CR

#51: Post by Prescott CR »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Perger no longer recommends nutation. And he has apologized for creating throngs of imitators. He elaborates here:
https://coffeehustle.com/posts/pEcQmYA3 ... -271460037
Thank you for posting this.
-Richard

canuckcoffeeguy

#52: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to Prescott CR »

Np! Perger is but one man, so we shouldn't consider his words sacrosanct. But he's doing a lot of experimentation, research and testing long held beliefs. So he's definitely worth paying attention to.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#53: Post by EspressoForge »

For me with my Compak K10, tapping like this to distribute works quite well. Other methods work pretty well, and in general, this grinder isn't so fussy. But I haven't yet tried it with my LIDO 3. Has me curious to try and see if it makes any noticeable difference.

jcw5002

#54: Post by jcw5002 »

I wanted to follow-up on this one since it's been a few weeks since I started using this method. Originally I tried to do a vertical tap on the forks of the K30, then horizontal tap but it wasn't working too well. It was hard to get the coffee level once it was initially compressed by the vertical tap. I switched about 2 weeks ago to starting with horizontal taps to get a nice even base, then follow up with 2 vertical taps. This has worked MUCH better! It's a lot easier to get the coffee to sit evenly before doing any vertical taps.

I have not been using any finger leveling and my shots have been better than ever. Much faster, too. Great tip.

GwilymBarista

#55: Post by GwilymBarista »

jcw5002 I found the same on the K30. what type of grinder you use makes a difference to the distribution technique. with the Mythos1 I use the opposite technique of vertical then horizontal.

aecletec

#56: Post by aecletec »

Just to add to the anecdotes - found with my Super Caimano that horizontal doesn't do much after vertical, so horizontal first it is...
Or... diagonal... 8)

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by Moxiechef »

With my HG-1, I do a very, very light vertical tap followed by horizontal taps to level. Then two firmer vertical taps and tamp.