Cause of irregular flow late in extraction that destroys crema? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Marcelnl

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

Does not look too bad, in fact the start looks like some yummie stuff coming out...
Still I agree on the long duration, I also wondered why the shot continued after some ten to fifteen sec before the end...

Off topic...it totally depends on your GF if your youtube channel will be crowded :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

Tia93 (original poster)

#12: Post by Tia93 (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:It could be a combination of things. But after watching the video, I think your extraction time was also quite long.

50 seconds elapsed from first drip to ending the shot.You're also using a spouted portafilter. So first drip actually occurred before that, accounting for time needed to flow down and through the spouts. And if you're doing that with a 1:2 brew ratio, that's probably dragging it out way too long. The thinner, wiggling stream is often a sign that you might be beyond the optimal extraction point, and into over-extraction territory. I would've stopped that shot 15 seconds earlier.

With that flowrate, and 16g dose, I would aim for 24g to 28g in 30 to 35 seconds from first drip. Just a ball park estimate based on your video.
It definitely was, I took it so long 'cause the problem was having scenic panic. After paying attention to pretty much anything this couple of days, I'm pretty confident it's distribution. So I'll try to work that out.

Do you know how many seconds there are between first drops and first visible drops? Of course an estimate. Are we talking 1-2 or more? As the road ain't that long for the coffee, but I also think that the pf has a strange design (strange to me, of course), so maybe there's more in there.

To get out more espresso, just grind coarser and updose, is that right?
Thank you!

Advertisement
Tia93 (original poster)

#13: Post by Tia93 (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:Does not look too bad, in fact the start looks like some yummie stuff coming out...
Still I agree on the long duration, I also wondered why the shot continued after some ten to fifteen sec before the end...

Off topic...it totally depends on your GF if your youtube channel will be crowded :mrgreen:
Yes, there's definitely some yummy in there at the start! It doesn't taste bad in the end, actually, generally - I've changed my grinding since then, btw, as it definitely was taking too long for the first drops, you call that pre-infusion -), but maybe kind of watery. So I'm trying to get out more coffee without just going with plain over-extraction.

Not sure I got the OT, sorry about that :( :oops: