Condensation Buildup in Pressure Gauge of New Espresso Machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Before&After

#1: Post by Before&After »

I recently noticed quite a bit of condensation and water buildup in the pressure gauge of a new Rancilio Classe 7 Espresso Machine. I'm afraid I might be doing something wrong, perhaps during the cleaning process? I've left the machine off the last couple nights, hoping it would evaporate, but it's still there... Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem? Here is an image of the water in the gauge:

Thanks,
Jess

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

Have you contacted the seller? Seems like a warranty issue
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

That's absolutely not normal. Following the hints in Forum search tips, I searched on Condensation Espresso Machine Pressure Gauge and found several threads that speak to this problem. Below is a repost of one of my previous replies for your convenient reference:
HB wrote:Judging from the results from searching on "gauge condensation", it can be as simple as tightening the capillary tube fitting, or there's an internal leak.
another_jim wrote:Condensation is not usually a sign of a malfunction. The gauges are not airtight, and a tiny steam leak that's enough to raise the humidity inside the case will end up as condensation on the inside glass of the gauges. Tiny leaks usually get larger, and in a week or two, you may hear which nut needs to be tightened.

On the other hand, if you see standing water pooling at the bottom of the gauge, it has sprung a leak. I've had both; they are easy to distinguish.
cannonfodder wrote:The gauge could be going south or the capillary tube connecting it has a small leak. If the gauge is leaking inside it will steam up the glass. eventually is will go bad, if it is the capillary tube it may just need a little tightening.
HB wrote:To confirm Jim's suggestion that it's a sign of a smaller leak inside the case, you might find it with the stethoscope technique (listening at various places in the machine with a paper tube like those for paper towels). But judging from the pool of water at the bottom of your gauge, that may be wishful thinking. If so, since it's still under warranty, I'd ask for a replacement gauge.
That said, if it's new, I agree with the previous poster: Ask the seller to repair it or at least provide a replacement gauge.
Dan Kehn