2nd generation (1974-2000) La Pavonis--The positives!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rpavlis

#1: Post by rpavlis »

The 2nd generation La Pavonis constantly are criticised for their tendency to overheat. Few ever seem to point out that for some situations the efficient group heating is a strong positive. That situation is what many of us do a LOT--the fast one or two cup runs. Both the "two switch" and the pressurestat versions are extraordinary for that quick cup or two! (I have one of each of these types of machines.) Bleeding (which is mandatory) is actually fastest with the two switch models. Once these get up to pressure simply raise the handle and release a little steam and water and then slowly lower it. Pressurestat requires opening the steam valve and moving the handle up the same way, though it seems to take at least two handle raising operations to do it well.

One can and should make the first cup immediately with the two switch models, and as soon as the light goes out with the pressurestat ones. I always grind and press the coffee during the warm up. I do NOT have the portafilter on the machine during warm up. I put the cup and loaded portafilter to the right of the machine. With the left hand I slowly raise the group handle until a bit of steam begins to exit. For an instant I lower the handle just enough to stop the steam and as quickly as possible lock on the portafilter and put the cup in place. I raise the handle as soon as possible. I lower it until a few drops of espresso appear, and raise it all the way again and make the pull. It seems always to be extraordinary this way. If I use my thermometer well portafilter setup the last espresso to emerge tends to be about 93C when it is done this way.

With the second cup I raise the handle to near the point of steam release, attach the portafilter, and then do as above. Releasing steam prior to lock on seems to be close to getting it too hot.

When I need more cups I usually use the Micro Casa a Leva or my very antique 1964 La Pavoni. Sometimes I have a ramekin filled with cold water, and draw water into the group from it between shots. I count to 5 after drawing the water into the group. Again I always attach the portafilter with the handle up near the point of steam and water release. Otherwise air drawn through the puck tends to crack it. With a bottomless portafilter this results in spurts of espresso all over the place!

Advertisement
Seed65

#2: Post by Seed65 »

As a new owner of a 1995 Europiccola, single switch and Pstat (not yet received), I liked your summary. I was wondering if all the things you mentioned apply to a single switcher as well? I will just be making espresso for myself and 2 shots max at a time. Could I get 3 without causing issues? Anything I should look out for? I am a newbie! :)

Thanks!

OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

Turn the machine OFF between shots and start with boiler level 1" down from the top of the glass and the rate of group heating is drastically reduced. The thermodynamic response of the La Pavoni has been changed over the years as the lifestyle of the target demographic has changed. This was always to be a home user or very casual shop machine.

Seed65

#4: Post by Seed65 »

Thank you!!! Very good advice.

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

I'm not sure what model I have. It's not a two switch version, but the pilot light never goes out either.

Also, I have an Auber WS-1510DPMA PID controller from my now decommissioned roaster. I'd like to use it to control my LP Pro. What's the best/least invasive place to install the K-type TC?

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

Yours is a Pro, and is functionally same as a 2nd generation Europiccola with a pressurestat. Since the Pro model has a gauge, it doesn't need the light to tell you when it's up to full pressure.

The Europiccola with the pStat has no gauge but has a switch like this:

The red rocker switch lights whenever the power switch is on, and the green light below it lights only when the element is powered, so when you see that light go off you know it's up to pressure.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

Almico wrote:Also, I have an Auber WS-1510DPMA PID controller from my now decommissioned roaster. I'd like to use it to control my LP Pro. What's the best/least invasive place to install the K-type TC?
First, be aware that once you bleed air from the group, the boiler temperature is directly related to pressure, which your pressurestat maintains within a range that is adequate for practical use of the machine, especially considering the fact that the brew temp is dependent on a combination of the boiler temp and the group temp.

But if you really want to do that, start here: Another PID-controlled La Pavoni Pro
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h