Pharos grind times - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
estib

#31: Post by estib »

aaronschroeder wrote:Won't the outer limit of the burrs be just like the inner limit? That is, there will be a limit beyond which the grind can get no coarser that's more or less fixed for the Pharos. Because it's fixed, rather than being at absolute 0, you're at 'absolute 1' or something similar.

Pretend I didn't say that. The 'outer limit' I'm running up against is obviously the lock-nut that holds the handle in place....
Each pharos could have different outer limit since the depth of the handle's lock nut can vary from one pharos to another.

The inner limit is more accurate since the burrs touching determines the zero point and doesnt matter on how deep the lock nut, handle etc is on the shaft.

Try 1-1/2 to 2 turns from 0.

rittem1

#32: Post by rittem1 »

aaron,

I read thru the thread and I didn't see anywhere that you took it apart, did a cleaning, or attempted a re-alignment. I apologize if you did. As a former Pharos owner I would think until these are attempted we would all just be guessing as to what the issue may be. It looks to be a feeding issue to me. The grind process for pour over should be much more aggressive and there is almost no way I would be able grip the knob handle with barely two fingers like you are doing and still be able to turn it.

Your burrs, even with every day usage, should still be in good shape after two years so I don't think it is a worn burr issue. Take it apart!
LMWDP #517

yakster
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by yakster »

Since you're running it almost wide open and have had this problem since the beginning, I'd try adjusting the grind finer as suggested before taking it apart.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rittem1

#34: Post by rittem1 replying to yakster »

He said in his first post that it grinds that slowly no matter how fine he sets it. Time to open her up.
LMWDP #517

DanoM

#35: Post by DanoM »

The grinder has also been modded, so at some time somebody opened it up. Hopefully the OP knows how to handle that and can open that up for a proper service. A photo of the burrs might be a good idea too.
LMWDP #445

yakster
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by yakster »

Ah, I missed that. Once the grinder is opened up, cleaning the inside of the hopper might be a good idea too in case there's been a buildup of oils making the coffee take longer to feed.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272