Gaggia Orione-need help - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Paul_Pratt

#11: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Good news, I suppose a bit of Dow on the one way piston would not do any harm. Prize it up, dab some in there and let it spring back. Then rotate the valve several times. I never lube that part and have never really had any issues with them.

Use some Dow on the piston and the gasket stack as well, no need to smear like a bagel and cream cheese like you will see on some lever threads :D just a sheen on the rubber rings is sufficient.

Your piston looks to be in fantastic shape.

Bluedog2903 (original poster)

#12: Post by Bluedog2903 (original poster) »

I'm pulling shots! Thanks all!

Plumbed in. No leaks. The pstat is holding around 1 bar. The mazzer is about dialed in.

One last(?) question. How do I get double volume? I've played around with variations on double pulling the lever and finer grinds but it is hit and miss right now. Sometimes one shot; sometimes two.

And generally, what is the shot procedure? Pull till it clicks, hold to preinfuse, then pull all the eay and let go? Sorry to be such a newbie. I got pretty good with the Pavoni but don't know the routine for this yet.

Thanks again.

Tom

Advertisement
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#13: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Yeehaw!
On my Mcal To pull a double I let the lever rise a very short distance and pull it down repeatedly for the first ounce, then let it go all the way for theremainder. I have no issues with fractured pucks\channeling either.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

#14: Post by Bluedog2903 (original poster) »

leon wrote:I'm sorry I don't know anything about this machine. Just noticed your location. I used to live in 78704. Biked to Barton Springs almost every day, ahhhh...it's a good zip code. :D
Hey Leon

From S. Austin to HK? Quite a jump. What took you that far? Were you here recently? Tom

leon

#15: Post by leon replying to Bluedog2903 »

Hi Tom, I grew up in Austin. I still come back a couple times a year to visit my parents. They live up in Great Hills now. I have fond memories of living in Bouldin when I was in my early 20s, great place for young adults. From what I've seen, it's become quite the trendy area in recent years (lots of new coffee shops!). Working and living in HK is definitely quite a big difference, but I'm enjoying myself here too in different ways. Man, I miss Barton Springs, though, that water is amazing. I always make a pilgrimage there when I come back to visit my folks.

Back on topic, glad to see you got the Orione up and running. Enjoy it!

dmccallum

#16: Post by dmccallum »

Quick fix - great!

Can we have a few pics of the machine?

#17: Post by Bluedog2903 (original poster) replying to dmccallum »

Sure. I still need to put the panels back on and dust her off.

Advertisement

#18: Post by Bluedog2903 (original poster) »

In all her glory. Thanks again.

DanoM

#19: Post by DanoM »

Very nice look there! I've never seen a dome on top I liked until that photo.

Lots of shiny!!!! :wink:
LMWDP #445