LIDO 2 for La Pavoni Europiccola?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Seed65

#1: Post by Seed65 »

Good day!

I am finally venturing into espresso making and purchased an 1995 Europiccola with Pstat. I have a Lido 2 that I currently use for pourover and as I understand, it can be used for espresso, but I also understand that the Europiccola is very sensitive to grind quality.

Will I be able to get by with the Lido 2? or should I venture down a more espresso oriented grinder pathway? (and yes I know there is a steep learning curve that lies ahead of me :)) That is part of the fun!

Thoughts? :)

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Yes, definitely. Enjoy! :D

forbeskm

#3: Post by forbeskm »

I have used a lido 2 since it came out for my la Pavoni works just fine and easier for travel.

weebit_nutty

#4: Post by weebit_nutty »

Seed65 wrote:...as I understand, it can be used for espresso, but I also understand that the Europiccola is very sensitive to grind quality.

Will I be able to get by with the Lido 2? or should I venture down a more espresso oriented grinder pathway? (and yes I know there is a steep learning curve that lies ahead of me :)) That is part of the fun!

Thoughts? :)
It's a a wonderful grinder, but not for espresso. YMMV, but that's been my experience.

My issues for it are mainly:
1. Ergonomics - Not the most comfortable grinder to hold, and the balance is terrible. Given how long it takes to hand grind for espresso, ergonomics plays an important role to ensure an enjoyable experience. Simply put, grinding espresso on this grinder is a pain in the arse, particularly when you're tring to tune your shot and dial in your grind setting for a specific roast. Tedious is an understatement.
2. Lack of calibration - Ever watch Apollo 13?
3. Adjustment ring - Adjustment ring does not have a legend so you have to physically label your setting, particularly if the grinder is going to be used for multiple roasts and/or brewing styles.

I have other issues with the grinder but they aren't espresso-specific. For drip, the above issues are much less of a problem.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?