Restoring Nuova Simonelli Optima/S

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CJMcafe

#1: Post by CJMcafe »

Hello,

This is my first post, I hope I can bring some interest to everyone.

Today a friend gave me one of his espresso machine. Although it look 80% like new I decided to take it apart and totally clean it.

All the panels have its original paint but going to strip then repaint.

I've searched on the web but can only find little info on the unit.

from what I can see there is a control panel which can be programmable: single. double shots BUT mine is a Optima/S just one button.

I would like to replace it with the control panel mod optima V kit # 03000217 does anyone know if its straight replace with the panel , or need another component?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Hello Alan, and welcome to H-B!

It's much easier to answer your questions if you post photos. Here are instructions for doing that: Posting images on HB
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

HoldTheOnions

#4: Post by HoldTheOnions »

To have dosing, you can do it either by time or volume. IMO, volume is the superior method, but to have volumetric dosing you will also need to have a flow meter on the pump intake.

If you can't simply swap out boards, another option may be to use an arduino as the switch to engage the pump, and connect the flow meter to the arduino. I say "may", because if the buttons on the machine are soldered directly to the control board and the connections are difficult to access, then this is probably not possible. But if wires run from the front panel buttons (switches) to the control board located in another part of the machine, then you can bridge the positive and negative terminals of the pump switch through a small mechanical relay connected to the arduino. So you press another button connected directly to the arduino and it engages the mechanical relay which connects the positive and negative terminals and sends the signal to the control board to engage the pump. Then after specified time/volume per flow meter, it sends another signal to shut off the pump. You can mount the arduino button on the side of the machine if you don't want to modify the front panel. You can do this for dirt cheap and get plenty of help with the programming. I have code for this already, so PM me and I can help you with it, if you decide to take this route.