Mazzer Super Jolly - Clean up and hopper mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
skyboltone

#1: Post by skyboltone »

Greetings all:
I bought a Super Jolly marked "Astoria" off Craigslist yesterday and brought it home. Here are a few pictures of the process. In the first one you'll notice a lot of coffee build up. The restaurant that this came out of closed up years ago and the owner just took a few things home. He never touched it. That stuff is unspeakably nasty caked on grime with lots of tarry build up everywhere. The dosing lever has snapped off and it was impossible to turn without disassembly. The hopper is interesting. When I bought the grinder I thought; "Hey that opening looks about the same size as a Macha can". Well, it is. The fit couldn't be better. The can is from Hibiki-an in Japan. Just pry the bottom off carefully and then smooth out the opening by chucking the odd piece of pipe in a vise and then tapping it smooth with a ball pean hammer.

All I've had on hand to try with the new grinder is some old stale Lavazza beans I've been using for drip with my Cuisineart grinder. The first pull with the Mazzerized beans was far closer to espresso than anything I had been able to make with the Cuisineart or Hario but still a long way from good. Not a sink shot though, I needed a pick-me-up after all so I drank it anyway.

New burrs are on order and I've been horsing around with the odd scrap of paper and cardboard working up an aluminum funnel that will fit inside the doser.
Bean me up dude!