Modify portafilter for pressure gauge or buy another? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lapavoni1999

#11: Post by lapavoni1999 »

erics wrote:Why not simply remove the steam arm tip, attach a suitable hose with screw clamps, and adapt this hose to your pressure gage with a barbed fitting ? This would be applicable to the Gaggia and Silvia and other single boiler machines. Simply open the steam valve and brew away as you normally would with a coffee loaded Portafilter.

The gage you bought from Home Depot may not work too well unless it has a pulsation damper in the inlet so count on returning it.
Dear Eric,

I looked up the gauge that I link and found this information helpful. It looks like the Glycerin would dampen the vibration and pulsation to a degree. The barbed fitting and real coffee would be best I think and its an option I might explore.

Thanks!

The 2-1/2" dial on these DuraChoice liquid filled pressure gauges is readable from a considerable distance. The stainless steel case protects against harsh environments and the glycerin filling promotes longer service life because it helps dampen vibration and pulsation. The glycerin also discourages condensation from forming and obscuring the readout.
As far as manometers go, this is a great choice for water, oil, gas (WOG), diesel or other hydraulic applications. This model is available in pressure ranges from vacuum to 15000 psi, as well as boost gauge models.

Dial Size: 2-1/2" Dial Size (Crimped Casing)
Accuracy: +/- 3/2/3%
Scale: Dual Scale - PSI / Bar
Movement: Copper Alloy
Bourdon Tube: Copper Alloy
Window: Polycarbonate
Case: Stainless Steel case for protection in harsh environments
Connection: Copper Alloy Lower Mount; 1/4" NPT (for 2-1/2" dial)
Normal Ambient Temp.: -4F to +140F (-20C to +60C)
Liquid Filling: Glycerin oil filled to enhance the reliability and integrity;
helps dampen the effect of vibration and pulsation;
lubricates the movement and extends the life of gauge.