Pharos & HG one - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#41: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

kofi wrote:The implementation of the flywheel is why grinding with the HG1 is much easier than grinding with the Pharos. I have not used the Pharos, but I'll be surprised if anybody thinks otherwise.
Depending on how you define "easier," you need to consider that the Pharos uses a smaller burrset with a different feed rate from the (83mm) HG one. (The 71 mm HG one would probably be more directly comparable to the Pharos, but it is no longer available.)

... while I am here - and please note that this is not addressed at you (Kofi):

I asked that this thread be split off from the New Pharos thread in part because I was wondering if I was alone in purchasing both grinders with the objective of keeping only one - and kept the Pharos with, as I believe first stated by another_jim, its nightmarish ergonomics. It appears that I am alone :mrgreen:.

On a mildly related note, my Hausgrind arrived earlier this week. I am pretty confident that it will out-grind my Zassenhaus Panama for Aeropress duty - but some say that the Hausgrind can match an HG one for espresso. I would be quite surprised, but if the Hausgrind can match the espresso from the Pharos, then ... :wink:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Bluecold

#42: Post by Bluecold »

OldNuc wrote:The old bakelite is a less than durable material when compared to milled wood. This is probably why it fell into disuse.
Yes, but they also stopped with the form factor of the bakelite grinders, being a horizontal-rotation grinder fitted with an arm to provide countertorque, presumably to be used on the counter.
Also, I don't know about the durability of bakelite compared to wood. Bakelite does chip when struck, but doesn't warp when wet. It's also more expensive than wood, but you do need less pieces. In any case, bakelite is still a high-performance plastic, but it fell into disuse because mainly due to cost.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

OldNuc

#43: Post by OldNuc »

Bakelite is brittle and breaks instead of bending. That is its major drawback along with a rather high sensitivity to UV damage. It was used a great deal in the past and is a real problem to properly restore. It does survive the passage of time much better than the plastics that displaced it in the market place though.

Those European bakelite horizontal shaft coffee grinders are a nice little grinder if you can find one that is not broken up and/or poorly repaired.

samax

#44: Post by samax »

I'm really enjoying reading through this thread, it is fascinating. I just ordered a Pharos, after reading quite a lot about various electrics and hand grinders. I don't have it yet, but am very excited to try it out. I'm a recent convert to a La Pavoni Europiccola...

At the time I ordered the Pharos, I did not even know that the HG1 existed. As I continued to read about the Pharos, I stumbled upon the HG1. What a beautiful piece of design work! I was simply blown away by that overall design... But, am I returning my Pharos and buying an HG1? No, absolutely not. From my personal financial perspective, there is a very significant difference between ~$1000 and ~$300. I'm also an engineer, so the possibility of modding the Pharos is attractive to me, if I find it necessary. Maybe, someday, when my kids are all thru college, the HG1 will be in my future, but for now I will be satisfied (hopefully) with the Pharos.